Re: Re: Re: Defence Deals

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, prakash  chandrashekar wrote:
 LIBERAL, RIGHT-WING, EXTREMIST, ILLIBERAL, POPULIST, OPPORTUNISTIC,
 LEFTIST, MARXIST, PRO-CONG, PRO-BJP, UNDECIDED,
 I hope you realise that this creats more problems than it solves. Its
 easier that the news comes unbranded and you personally choose to attach a
 "brand" to it.

I think we expect the Press to produce facts, as opposed to opinions
(brands). That is the (accepted?) definition of the institution of the
Press. The Free Press. Opinion is what we make out of the facts that the
Press produces. Each of us don't have the resources to keep a constant
vigil on the government and isn't that why we have the Press ? In that
light, it is best that a media member wear its bias on its sleeve and make
it more easy for me to form my opinion.

 you're quite wrong in my opinion. the press is a lesser monster than
 government because the government is a monopoly and a monopoly based on
 force. You can have n number of presses, but only one government. So, the
 tendency remains to abuse this monopoly and indulge in corrupt practices.
 We can start a press with a pre-defined or even undefined bias and leave
 the customer to choose. have you seen a "choice" in central governments ?
 the press is uncontrollable and thank god for that. when the government is
 also uncontrollable, we have to sit up and do somehting about it.

You mistook my point. Given the power of information, a government with
vested-interests is more controllable, by the electorate, than a Press
with vested-interests. You can vote out a monopolist government, but how
do you oust a monopolist Press ? The Press is a monopoly granted by the
electorate. There is a competition not in producing facts, but in the
*number* of facts produced (more information). It is the institution that
*makes* a democrasy. It's not the democratically elected government, but
the powerful duo of the Government and the Press that makes a democrasy.
If the members of the institution by themselves or collusion disregard the
mandate (it's so easy with information), how do you salvage it ? I think
they should atleast then brand themselves and make it easy for us to
*know* . After all we do that with the government, so it should be forced
upon the Press too. But ultimately the loss in the electorate's. The Press
in the counter-force we establish and support, but if it too goes the
government's way where's the remedy.

Thanks.

Padmanabha Rao