This is the solution!

Ladies and Gentlemen
--------------------

OK, OK, this not the solution to everything in this world, but I really
liked the use of "Sir" in the address, by Krishnan. Bless you for
teaching us a little decorum!

As Prof. Mukul Asher suggested, we need to move toward a more formal way
of address than we have been doing so far. Also, to keep our language
"nice."

I suggest that we use "Sir" or "Madam" or "Ladies and Gentlemen" at the
beginning of our notes. If you "approve" please start using it in your
postings.

Also, I think that I would like to modify the statement in our Preamble
using this statement of Krishnan: "India is too involved in religion,
using this to correct the system or even remove its faults would be a
disaster."

Our existing statement reads:

"That religion is a purely personal matter never to be brought into the
area of poltical discourse, and no religion is supreme nor worth
fighting about. All religions are to be fully respected."

I propose the new statement:

"That religion is a purely personal matter never to be brought into the
area of poltical discourse, and no religion is supreme nor worth
fighting about. All religions are to be fully respected. In any case,
intervening in religion to correct the system of governance or the
ecnomic system would surely fail."

Please approve this new statement. However, I do belive that in order to
help the educated (including me!) understand the issues better, we
should, somewhere in the "notes" section, display the basic statistics
on religions in India. There is so much distortion of these statistics
that public discourse is corrupted. If nothing else, we will all have
authentic information which will pin down the true basis of the
discussion/s. Else there is no difference between us, the educated, and
those who mislead us from political platforms. Knowledge first.
Compassion and understanding next. I don't have the statistics on the
communal riots as compiled by NC Saxena. Does anyone in the Academy have
these statistics? We should display all kinds of relevant information on
the web page. Let the facts speak for themselves.

Sanjeev