Re: state/center division of powers, was:Shut down Excise

PLANCK INSTRUMENTS P LTD wrote:

> Whatever gave you the impression that income and property were easier to
> assess? Sales is definitely easier, does not lend to too many
> interpretations .. at least not as many as income and is not too
> subjective as property values could be.
> Vikram

Thanks for your analysis. Your comments are perceptive.

The thought was that sales are harder to monitor.
I was thinking of retail sales where you are dependent on the merchant
to declare the value of sales and where most transactions are cash
and there is no paper trail.

When I mentioned property, I meant land and buildings which are hard to
hide
even if there is a possibility of subjectivity in assessing the value- at
least
the
existence of such property is hard to hide. You're right that is property
includes
all holdings like cash, jewelry, cars, and furniture etc the problem of
assessment
can become impossible. How about basing property taxes only on unmovable
assets?

I agree that income is also subject to interpretation. Sorry, I was only
thinking
of salaried people where there is a paper trail. I suppose we could devise
simple
reporting requirements for every employer- since for an enployer it
represents
an expense (s)he whould have some incentive to report it. I don't have any
immediate ideas for how to assess business income but I'm sure someone here
can come up with a few ideas for a starting point.

-Charu