Occasional Thought for the Day
[Preamble | Manifesto | Agenda]
This is a compilation of
the occasional Thought for the Day sent in by members. Please feel free to
send in some inspirational/ strategic thoughts (non-religious, though) and
these will be added to this list.
The possibilities in each of usReturn to the main page
One's role as a Citizen
- "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
- "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has
genius, power and magic in it." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)
- "It only takes a dream, for that is the catalyst that moves us to
action. Action creates results. That increases belief which creates more
action and develops momentum." - Anonymous friend.
- "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes
you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
Letting Fresh Air into the House
- "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppression of body
and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day." - Thomas
Importance of extensive preparation
- "Come, see these people and then go and hide your faces in shame
...Sitting down these hundreds of years with an ever-increasing load of
crystallized superstition on your head... Come out of your narrow holes and
have a look abroad. See how nations are on the march!" Swami Vivekananda, July
10, 1893, while traveling abroad.
Pointers toward a successful strategy:
- "Spectacular achievement is always preceded by spectacular
preparation." Robert H. Schuller
- "The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple
before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few
calculations beforehand." Sun Tzu
- "I will prepare and some day my chance will come." Abraham Lincoln
Who is a Winner?
- "The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without
fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good
service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom." Sun Tzu
- "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without
fighting." Sun Tzu
- "...victorious forces first acheive victory and then conduct battle;
losing forces first conduct battle and then seek victory." Sun Tzu
- "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
- "The real winners in life are the people who look at every situation
with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better." Barbara
The Man who Thinks He Can
by Waler D. Wintle
If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't
If you would like to win but you think you can't
It's almost certain you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you've lost
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you're outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise
You've got to be sure of yourself
Before you can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.