- Memorandum by Milton Friedman to GOI, 1955 | PDF, 28 Kb | Copyright Notice – Only authorized publication on the internet.
- Milton Friedman on the Nehru/Mahalanobis Plan| PDF, 10.5 Kb – Only authorized publication in print or internet
[Note on Milton Friedman: The Age of Friedman: America's most influential living economist since World War II was once isolated and ignored, NewsWeek, 15th June, 1998.]
(correspondence of 2001 with Milton Friedman – by Balbir Talwar)
Sanjeev Sabhlok, IAS (1982-2001: resigned) Co-Founder, India Policy Institute
Only authorized publications on the internet.
- Breaking Free of Nehru: Let’s Unleash India!
- Discovery of Freedom
- Becoming Rich and Powerful: A Primer for the Citizens of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh (PDF, 248 Kb)
- India need not live with Poverty (PDF, 64 Kb)
- Elimination of Poverty in Mylliem Block: Project Outline (Word, 45KB)
- India Could Have Had 40 Crore Less People, With Much Higher Standard Of Living (PDF, 15 Kb)
- Inspector Raj: Issues involved and working in India and the West
- The Inevitability of Political Corruption in India (Word format)
- A Case for the Rapid Urbanization of India (Word doc)
- Appropriate Technology: Myths and Realities
- Grassroot Democratic Control: The Concept of Local Board
- Transparency and Accountability: Facts Vs. Fiction | PDF, 17 Kb
- Evidence for the global failure of Statism and Dirigisme
- What will it take to Cross Over the USA?
- Why India should only have the cross-over goal in mind | PDF, 9.5 Kb
- High Population is a symptom, not a cause of poverty
- Studies showing the relationship between growth and removal of poverty
- Six Propositions and Recommendations on bureaucratic corruption in government organizations of Less Developed Countries, with focus on India (PDF, 112 Kb)
- Term Papers
- Elementary note: Competitive General Equlibrium and Planning
- Overview of 5 basic worldviews in Economics today
- Cost of eradicating poverty in India (PDF, 13 Kb)
- Is Religion Necessary? (Word format)
- God and God-products (Word format)
- A human life’s progress (draft) Word document
Ajay Gandhi, Chartered Accountant. Hyderabad. Co-Founder India Policy Institute
Parth Shah, President, Center for Civil Society, Delhi, Member of the Board, India Policy Institute. a must read!!
- Education: An Agenda
- On the Role of Government and Civil Society in Education: Liberalisation, Accountability, and Empowerment | PDF, 68 Kb
- The full-truth in Prof Sen’s half-truth: Calling for increased government responsibility may appear humane, but it ignores the lessons from history
Documents specially requested from authors/ publishers
Kaushik Basu, Professor, Cornell University. a must read!!
- “Markets, Governments and Laws.” [ Only authorized publication on the internet.] Originally published in Bimal Jalan’s book, The Indian Economy: The Anatomy of a Crisis, Penguin,1992.
Other material of Prof. Basu, publicly available at other sites:
Friedrich A. Hayek (Nobel Prize,1974) a must read!!
- “The Use of Knowledge in Society,” published in the American Economic Review, Vol. 35, No. 4, Sep., 1945. [PDF format]
Copyright Notice: Published by permission of the American Economic Association, Nashville, dated the 19th of November, 1998, and PDF archive database, JSTOR, Ann Arbor. This for each reader’s personal consumption. Please do not distribute copies without permission of AEA and JSTOR.
Deepak Lal, Professor, Economics, UCLA; (IFS, resigned) a must read!!
- From Planning to Regulation: Toward a New Dirigisme? (linked to Cato journal)
- Culture, Democracy and Development
- Economic Reforms and Poverty Alleviation
- Social Standards and Social Dumping
S.P. Aiyar, Ex-Professor, Bombay University
N.C. Saxena, (IAS Retired) former Secretary, Planning Commission. How have the poor done? Mid-term Review of Ninth Plan Published in Economic and Political Weekly, Oct 7, 2000.” (PDF, 48 Kb)
Policy reports from Independent Institute
- The Madness of the Minimum Wage by Dr. Robert Higgs.
- No more Central Banks by Kurt Schuler.
- Capitalism Has Won The Battles, So Why Hasn’t It Won The War? by Charles Oliver
Documents in the Public Domain relevant for IPI policy discussions (scanned and published on the internet by IPI)
B.R. Shenoy, India’s great liberal dissenter to Nehru’s policies a must read!!
- A Note Of Dissent On The Memorandum Of The Panel Of Economists (PDF, 46 Kb)
B. R. Shenoy: Stature and Impact, by Peter Bauer (PDF, 10 pgs., 34kb). Linked to Cato Journal (i.e., not a public domain paper).
N.N. Vohra, IAS: retired, the then Home Secretary, GOI
- Vohra Committee Report (PDF, 37 Kb) . The criminalisation of Indian politics
Planning Commission, India. Design and Implementation of Programmes, a Chapter on anti-poverty programmes, 2000, by Planning Commssion (PDF, 91.5 Kb)
PAPERS/ ARTICLES/ NOTES sent in by participants and supporters of IPI (alphabetical by last name)
Indrajit Barua Architect, Guwahati a must read!!
Committee for Peoples’ Empowerment (Prof. Bharat Shah, IIT, Bombay)
Prabhu Guptara, Professor, Switzerland.
- Speech delivered at the Churchill Symposium
- Culture and Development: a book review
- Life, Work and Careers in the 21st Century (PDF, 55.5 Kb)
- Recent Publications
Shahul Hameed, Rep. CII, Shanghai
- China Bulletin June 98: CHINA’S NEW GOVERNMENT STRUCTURE
- China Bulletin Sept. 98: DOING BUSINESS WITH CHINA
Yazad Jal, Researcher, CCS
Babu Joseph, President, Liberal Group – Kerala New!
- Kerala and Globalization. (PDF, about 800MB)
(Speech delivered by Dr. V. Ramachandran, Vice Chairman, Kerala State Planning Board at a meeting organised by Indian Liberal Group Kerala on 16th Dec. 2003 at Trivandrum for an young audience.
Madhu Kishwar, Editor, Manushi, Delhi
- ENHANCING WOMEN’S REPRESENTATION IN LEGISLATURES An Alternative to the Government Bill for Women’s Reservation (PDF, 37 Kb)
- Forwarding letter: An Alternative to the Government Bill for Women’s Reservation (PDF, 10 Kb)
- Some articles by Madhu Kishwar
Political Corruption – How to Fight it (PDF, 16 Kb)
N. Arvind Kumar, Software engineer
Barun Mitra, President, Liberty Institute, Delhi
- Is there a population problem? published in the Economic Times, Tuesday the 24th of September, 1998.
S.V. Raju, Project for Economic Education, Bombay a must read!!.
- The Requirements of Social Justice (PDF, 12 Kb)
- Liberalism – A Contemporary View (Word format)
- Making a Mockery of Indian Democracy | PDF, 12 Kb
- Writ Petition in Bombay High Court | PDF, 30 Kb
Jagdiswara Rao, retd. Professor, Geology, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati.
Smita Sabhlok, IAS
- Child Labour in Bangladesh (PDF, 47 Kb)
K.S. Sastry, IAAS (retd. as Advisor to UN/IMF, Chairman, NationalHousing Bank, in rank of Addl. Secy. GOI
- A Feasible Approach to Flat Tax Reform, by Kamhhampati S. Sastry and Jeffrey B. Nugent. This paper was presented in the Western Economic Association, California on June 29, 1998. PDF, 75 Kb.
- The Missing Agenda, published in Hindu dated 29th March, 1998. Word format.
Nirvikar Singh, Professor, Economics, UC Santa Cruz a must read!!
Henry Thiagaraj, Managing Trustee, Dalit Liberation Education Trust, Chennai
Venu Gopal, Researcher, NIRD Hyderabad
Miscellaneous Notes/ Readings
- The Cure for Poverty by Henry Hazlitt. Also in PDF, 13.6 Kb.
- What are Logical Fallacies? by Prof. Robert G. Davis
- States and markets, By the World Bank.
- What Everyone Should Know About Economics and Prosperity, by James D. Gwartney and Richard L. Stroup Adapted for Canadian readers by Michael A. Walker The Fraser Institute, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Foreign Direct Investment: India’s panic reaction[from the Economist]
- Selected extracts from comments by economists on the Indian situation
- Readings in Governance
- 88% of Indians would like to be born again in India. From an India Today poll.
- Reflections on the Future of Socialism