Re: Gujarat tragedy - Solution - Legal Ownership of Weapons

IPI_Marker

Hi all,

      One serious (but likely to be highly controversial) solution to
riots and other crimes is to allow legal ownership of firearms and
other weapons by law abiding citizens. This will make sure that if the
Govt. fails to do its duty to protect life and liberty of its citizens,
citizens will be able to do it themselves. I know there will be lots of
objections to this solution. So I am putting up a kind of FAQ here:

Q1) Won't legal owners of arms use the firearms to kill and murder
others?

Ans) Very less likely. Because the firearms is registered with the
Govt. with the owners address, the type of the firearm, its serial
number etc. This is like the registering the CAR. Will somebody
deliberately cause accident and kill with his registered CAR? Very less
likely. Because those who want to murder others will not bother to
purchase firearms legally and register them. They can get it anyhow
from the black market already. Legal ownership will allow law abiding
citizens to protect their and others life and property.

Q2) Won't there be any free for all in case of riots?

Ans) I think by definition riots are free for all. However, very few
people will participate in riots knowning that law abiding citizens own
firearms in the particular area. This will actually prevent free for
all riots. Here my assumption is that riots are started by miscreants
who want to benefit from the chaos of riots. However, the risk for the
miscreant in starting such kind of riots when others own legal arms is
significant. Therefore, miscreants will not dare to start the riots in
the first place.

Q3)What about domestic violence with the firearms?

Ans) You have to understand that with legal ownership and registration
it becomes easier to find the murder weapon. So, those who want to
murder others will not bother to own legal weapons. Also, as part of
registration of firearms we can also make sure that police have
signature of the firearms with them. That is, they collect all the
information about the gun which allows them to trace bullets to the gun
which fired it. Some guns emit registration and serial numbers along
with bullets. I don't think there is any harm in allowing this kinds of
traceable guns.

Q4) What about accidents?

Ans) More people in developed countries get killed in automobile
accidents than firearm accidents. Also, we can have strong liability
laws and liability insurance to take of that. With the traceable guns
this should not be a problem. Although, system will take some time to
become smooth. However, we should allow ownership of firearms to
increase alongwith the capacity of the system to handle liabilities.
Thus, there won't be any shocks in the system.

Q5)  Are there any working systems and what are the results?

Ans) Yes, in US (Where else?). Here is the list of CATO's article on
Gun ownership. Since, different states in US have different degrees of
Gun ownership, those states with more restrictions on Gun ownerships
have more crime rates than those that don't have any restrictions. In
UK crime rate is very high because of tight Gun Control.

Q6) To handle liabilities from Gun related accidental deaths we need
efficient courts and police. Since, India lacks that won't it create
problem?

Ans) Yes. However, lack of efficient courts and police in India is what
is causing the riots and other crimes. So?

http://jefferson.cato.org:8765/query.html?col=allcato&qc=allcato&pw=100%25&r
f=0&qt=gun+control

Here is an excellent article on Guns and Crime at
http://www.ncpa.org/pub/st/st176/. Here is an excerpt from the article:
Myth No. 14: People don't need guns for self-protection because they
can rely on the police.
About 83 percent of the population will be victims of violent crime at
some point in their lives, and in any given year serious crime touches
25 percent of all households. Considering that, effectively, there is
only one police officer on patrol for every 3,300 people, the odds are
not likely to improve. And the courts have ruled that government has no
duty to protect individual citizens from crime.

Here is an another article titled: Gun-Control Laws Don't Stop Gun
Crimes in Britain http://www.ncpa.org/iss/cri/2001/pd080801g.html

Here is a list of articles from NCPA about Guns and Self-defense:
http://www.ncpa.org/iss/cri/i_selfdefense.html
Regards,
Ashish K Hanwadikar