Re: Gujarat and Accountability

IPI_Marker

Dr. Roy,
I agree that politicians have shown disrespect for the lost lives
by remaining in power. But then, what will be achieved by the
resignation of present government? Is President's rule going to
solve the problem from its root? Or is new government going to be
any better? I think it's a mass-psyche-problem to be solved by
people themselves. It is, indeed, unfortunate that elected
representatives "of" the people are not "for" the people. But how
long are we going to throw our responsibilities onto a handful of
people and lead a life of indolence and indifference?

As regards Arundhati, I agree that she might have selfish motives
behind her "altrusitic" actions. But we must not forget that it is
celebrities like her that put governments under pressure. It's
same as Bacchhan-trick in U.P. elections. Celebrity status does
matter. So, whatever her intentions, advertently or inadvertently,
she is doing something that, in a democracy, people with ability
for reasoning should do. And she is a resident of Delhi. That
explains why she performed candle-light vigil in Delhi. I would
not be surprised if you did the same where you live. Then why
grudge if someone is a celebrity? I know it hurts good people to
see someone attempting to use such grave incidents to personal
benefit. But there is some action, at least, as opposed to
mass-indolence in India accumulated over years.

Regards,
Yogesh