Re: Slaughter in Gujarat

IPI_Marker

-----Original Message-----
From: NavinK@Gafri.com
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 13:25:20 -0800 (PST)
To: debate@indiapolicy.org
Subject: Slaughter in Gujarat

> IPI_Marker
>
> When thousands died in America on September 11th, most Americans were as
> outraged as we were when we heard about the attack on the train in
Gujarat.
> There was a sudden hatred towards Moslems and some (about three) were
> killed. Just compare to what we see now in our country. Agreed, innocent
> people were killed; but does that justify killing another 50 innocents, or
> 100 of them? We did not see hundred or even 10 people get killed in any
> "retaliation" in America.

I believe that the reaction to the Godhra carnage, condemanbale as it is, is
a consequence of the cumulative impact of goings-on in India over the last
decade: terrorism in Kashmir, the daily massacres of innocents in the
valley, the Indian state's ineffectiveness in protecting the lives of people
in Doda and elsewhere, the Kandahar hijack, the recent parliament attack etc
etc coupled with the secularist subterfuge of blaiming Hindus for every ill
plaguing the country. In contrast, Americans don't encounter provocation on
almost a daily basis. Sept 11 happened out of the blue.

Even then, it's not as if the Americans did not react. They did and they did
in the right manner: by eliminating an estimated 5000 terrorists in
Afghanistan. The overwhelming majority of Americans back their government's
action in Afghanistan.

The right reaction to the burning alive of women  and children in a locked
up train compartment would have been for Indian law enforcement to
relentlessly track down the pepetrators of the brutality and bring them to
justice swiftly. If then a crossborder angle has been established in the
heinous act, Indian government should have followed the American example:
share the evidence with the world community and declare histilities against
the offending country. Unfortunately, mobs took over and targetted innocent
Muslims in retaliation for the killing of innocent Hindus; and Indian
government lost an opportunity to nail Pakistan's nefarious role yet again.

> It tells a lot about the two "democracies" doesn't it? The difference
> between our civil societies is as wide as it can be. We have showed to the
> world that we are no different from other savage nations. What's the point
> in having a voting system, and gloating over it? World's greatest
democracy!
> Ha! What a joke!

This is needless breast-beating. First off, nobody claims that India is the
world's greatest democracy -- perhaps it would be a joke if Pakistan claimed
that distinction. :) It is said that India is the world's largest democracy,
and largest isn't necessarily the greatest.

Admittedly, Indian democracy is imperfect and immature. But then please
remember that the Americans had a headstart over us in the matter both of
throwing out the yoke of colonialism as well as establishing democracy. They
are a democracy 225 years old. And it's not as if American democracy did not
have  its teething troubles. Americans even fought a civil war.
To me the very fact that Indian democracy is sought to be compared to what
really is the world's greatest democracy points to the fact that Indian
democracy has arrived, though warts and all.

Sandeep