Re: Beautiful article by former director of CIA

IPI_Marker

Dear Ashish,
My comments are in capitalized font below:

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 Ashish Hanwadikar wrote :
>Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and
>propagate it!
>
>IPI_Marker
>
>Hi Yogesh,
>
> > The author of the article has cited a "cool" example to bring
>out
> > the analogy. However, while most western audience may be
> > illusioned into believing that America is one such marshal on
>the
> > world stage, we Indians, with over 900 movies releasing in
>India
> > every year, almost all of them driving the same point, I
>believe,
> > are better judge than anybody to know that although it makes
>an
> > entertaining (or otherwise) movie, it hardly makes practical
> > sense.
>
>What do you mean by it hardly makes practical sense? Don't we
>need
>people who strive to bring "bad" people to justice fearlessly? Or
>is it
>impractical to do so?

I THINK THERE IS CONFUSION BETWEEN MORALITY AND DIPLOMACY HERE.

> > In international arena, ultimately what matters is national
> > interest. All nations pursue their own interest and all
>diplomatic
> > statements are toward that end. Just as we dont see
>real-life
> > "marshals", we could not think of America as crusader for
>eternal
> > worldly peace.
>
>You are under a big illusion. There are real-life "marshals".
>Haven't
>you heard of Gandhi? Haven't you heard of heros of India's
>freedom
>struggle? Come on! There are lots of people who can sacrifice
>their
>immediate security in order to look at long term consequences.

GANDHI WORKED FOR HIS NATION'S (INDIA'S) INTEREST. THAT'S
PRECISELY MY POINT. A NATIONAL INTEREST IS PURSUED WITH PEOPLE
SUCH AS DIPLOMATS, FREEDOM FIGHTERS ETC. AS ENABLERS AND MEDIATORS
OF THE SAME.

> > No nation does anything for other. As far as peace
> > is concerned, it comes by balance of power, whichever way it
>is;
> > one of which is desirable, other is not.
> >

>"No nation does anything for other". I think it is blatantly
>false
>statement. It is almost saying nobody does anything for somebody
>else.

NO, THE ANALOGY HARDLY HOLDS.

>It is very difficult to judge people or countries's each and
>every
>action. That's why instead we follow certain systems like Law
>and
>Order. That's reason why we have democracies. That also means we
>cannot
>switch our support between different Nations based on their
>action.
>Instead we form long term commitments between Nations based on
>idealogy. And that's why India should be close to US and
>Israel.

AGREED. AND INDIA IS CLOSE TO US AND ISRAEL TODAY. MERELY FOR
EITHER STRATEGIC AND/OR ECONOMIC REASONS. NOT BECAUSE OF COMMON
IDEOLOGY. I THINK THIS OBSESSION WITH IDEOLOGY HURTS. PEACE IS IN
RECOGNIZING OTHER VIEWS OF GOVERNANCE TOO.