Re: Beautiful article by former director of CIA

IPI_Marker

Hi Yogesh,

> The author of the article has cited a "cool" example to bring out
> the analogy. However, while most western audience may be
> illusioned into believing that America is one such marshal on the
> world stage, we Indians, with over 900 movies releasing in India
> every year, almost all of them driving the same point, I believe,
> are better judge than anybody to know that although it makes an
> entertaining (or otherwise) movie, it hardly makes practical
> sense.

What do you mean by it hardly makes practical sense? Don't we need
people who strive to bring "bad" people to justice fearlessly? Or is it
impractical to do so?

> In international arena, ultimately what matters is national
> interest. All nations pursue their own interest and all diplomatic
> statements are toward that end. Just as we dont see real-life
> "marshals", we could not think of America as crusader for eternal
> worldly peace.

You are under a big illusion. There are real-life "marshals". Haven't
you heard of Gandhi? Haven't you heard of heros of India's freedom
struggle? Come on! There are lots of people who can sacrifice their
immediate security in order to look at long term consequences.

> No nation does anything for other. As far as peace
> is concerned, it comes by balance of power, whichever way it is;
> one of which is desirable, other is not.

"No nation does anything for other". I think it is blatantly false
statement. It is almost saying nobody does anything for somebody else.
It is very difficult to judge people or countries's each and every
action. That's why instead we follow certain systems like Law and
Order. That's reason why we have democracies. That also means we cannot
switch our support between different Nations based on their action.
Instead we form long term commitments between Nations based on
idealogy. And that's why India should be close to US and Israel.

Regards,
Ashish