RE: Arundhati Roy on Juriprudence

IPI_Marker

Hi Navin,

> Mahatma Gandhi, more than 50 years ago, showed that non-violence
> works. And
> Rev. Martin Luther King showed that non-violence when applied to
> civil-liberties movement works.

I agree that if Palestinian people try using non-violence seriously
Israel would have no choice to grant them the territory they rightly
dserve. Because countries like US, India will be hard pressed to
justify people like Ariel Sharon then. And also, Israeli themselves
will not risk oppressing Palestinian people for fearing of lossing
their own freedom at the hand of thier own oppressive govt.

The non-violence works against civilized people. It does not work
against people like Hitler, and Mussolini! Mahatma Gandhi used
non-violence successfuly against British by invoking the principles of
Justice which were widely accepted in Britain and other civilized
countries. He used to same setup that granted British citizens their
freedom and justice against more powerful among them. However, if
Mahatma Gandhi would have tried his non-violence against Muslim
invaders of Medieval ages or or people like Hitler he would never have
succeeded. That's the reason he allowed Indian soldiers to be sent to
fight Hitler in World War II.

Thus, British people with thier system of Law and Order, Parliament,
courts deserve some credit for Gandhi's success. Same thing goes with
Martin Luther King Jr. He studied in a very liberal college in Northern
part of US of A (where slavery was not practiced). There he saw "free"
blacks studying side by side with whites. And then he invoked the same
constitutional principles of equality under law that guaranteed white
people their justice and peace!

The reason I am pointing this out is that these principles of
non-violence will be useless against barbaric powers without any system
of justice! Take a look at Zimbabwe! Even though that country freed
years ago they still do not have a democracy. And it is not a white
person who is oppressing them now but a black Mr. Mugabe. Thus,
opression and tyranny against blacks in not reserved exclusively for
whites (so much for the equality). And reason people in Zimbabwe are
more oppressed than blacks in America is because Mr. Mugabe does not
recognize any system of justice or law and order. Try non-violence
there! Where millions are executed one more will go!

Non-violence movement forced Britain and US to give justice to
oppressed people because they feared that if they kill Gandhi or Martin
Luther Kind Jr., they will undermine the very thing that guarantees
them the freedom. They had no choice but to give the freedom and
justice to oppressed because alternative would have been too costly for
them. And also, some people in the establishment genuinely wished and
fought for justice for blacks and Indians. In Zimbabwe both conditions
are not present and hence non-violence will not work there!

Regards,
Ashish K Hanwadikar