Re: Arundhati Roy justifying Taliban!

IPI_Marker

Hi Raju,

> Ashish,
> I think you've misunderstood her. If you read carefully, she's not
> justiying
> the taliban.  Rather, she's saying that the United States (Cold War)
> is
> mainly responsible for turning Afghanistan into what it is today.

No I haven't misunderstood her. I do not think she has courage to call
spade a spade! I am again quoting the sentence here!

> Just look at the sentence "Now, as adults and rulers, the Taliban
> beat, stone, rape and brutalize women, they don't seem to know what
> else to do with
>them."

I don't agree with her at all that US of A is responsible for what
Afghanistan is today. If I remember the history clearly it was Russia
who attacked Afghanistan! And by the way, at that time Communism was
respected everywhere as a superior alternative to Capitalism. US was
looked down upon even in India. Jawaharlal Nehru did not open his mouth
against Russia eventhough he was first to criticize Western powers even
for the slightest hint of agression. He was the person who actually
asked that Permanent Seat in the UN Security Council be given to China
in order to resolve Korean crisis.

I think US of A was justified in supplying arms to Taliban and other
organizations fighting against Russia. The other alternative of Russia
winning in Afghanistan and then spreading communism to rest of Asia and
may be, just may be, China joining them, was really scarry.

Do you really think if US of A had not interfered in Afghanistan,
Afhanistan would have been in much better shape? Do you think the
states in the former USSR are in any better shape? You must be kidding!
In fact, I blame the rest of the world for not supporting US of A. Rest
of the World including India should have realized the consequences of
Communism properly and supported US of A in Afghanistan. Then after
driving out Russians from Afghanistan UN could have controlled
Afhanistan till they form some kind of democracy.

There is an impression in the world that Muslims are united and if we
do not bow to their wishes there will be more terrorism. The people
used to say the same thing about Hitler. He also justified his violence
using Versailes Treaty as an excuse. Entire Europe was stupid to ignore
him till he actually attacked Poland. People are committing the same
mistake again. By bowing to their wishes and treating them with kids
gloves we are only encouraging further attacks on civilized nations. I
want US of A to go and bomb the hell out of Saddam Hussein, Yasser
Arafat, North Korea, etc. We cannot afford to ignore them.

And even if we think that Taliban and Al Qaeda are creation of US of A,
isn't it high time those mistakes are corrected? I still don't
understand why Osama Bin Laden, if he has been helped by US against
Russian invasion, should target US? Shouldn't he be greateful to the
US? The reason he is attacking US is because he hates US and Israel.
Death to US and Israel is his and other Muslim terrorists slogan. Don't
ever forget that Russia supported these Muslim terrorist against US in
order to defeat US. The hate against US will always be there no matter
what US does. Even if US soldiers were killed defending Muslims in
Kosova, Kuwait etc. there will always be hatred against US.

Regards,
Ashish K Hanwadikar