Re: POVERTY'S CONNECTION WITH TERRORISM

IPI_Marker

Mr Sadashivan,
             I appreciate your ideas on connection of terrorism with
poverty. However, do you realize that in order to attack and terrorize
people you need weapons! Thus, "rich" people like Osama Bin Laden who
fund those attacks are the "origin" of terrorism. The reason they can
justify those attacks is because we refuse to see exactly what they
are, "evil". If "intellectual" people instead keep on saying that these
terrorist are actually fighting for justice then they get encouraged.
Osama Bin Laden and Taliban got lots of encouragement from
intellectuals from all over the world. The Wire News Agency "Reuters"
refused to call Sept. 11 attackers as "terrorists". Some intellectuals
and media analysts called those attackers as "brave". Some people tried
to justify those attacks as a legitimate response to US heagemony. This
is terrible and unacceptable! Also, in this particular case of Sept. 11
attacks there was in fact no link to poverty. Most of the Sept. 11
attackers were from Saudi Arabia. To call these poor will be an insult
to the word poor. The terrorists who are causing terror in Kashmir can
hardly be described as poor. They are sophisticated, well armed, and
very motivated. Poor people can engage in petty crimes for sake of
survival. But to be able to kill thousands of innoncent civilians
require great motivatation either religious or economic! The economic
motivation is provided by so called intellectuals who constantly harp
on widening gap between rich and poor and western imperalism. Combine
religous motivation with the constant cherring on by the intellectuals
and you get a perfect and heady mixture of terrorism. China is a
communist country with lots of poor people. Why isn't it experiencing
terrorism on the scale witnessed by democratic countries like India, US
and others? Because terrorists know the consequences! Why doesn't
terrorist target Saudi Arabian princes? Aren't they rich? Aren't they
committing atrocities? Why doesn't Osama Bin Laden recruit poor people
of Iraq and ask them to kill Saddam Hussein and loot his wealth? Why
target America, why India, why Israel? I believe the motivation is
purely religious and hatred of western values like democracy,
secularism, and freedom and that's all! We should call spade a spade!

Regards,
Ashish K Hanwadikar

http://members.tripod.com/~sadashivan_nair/quotpovertyquotasubject/index.=