Re: Arundhati Roy on Juriprudence

IPI_Marker

Way to go!!!
I have done that in the past when I have deliberately wanted to see someone
/ some event my own myopic way only to embarras myself later. Does'nt work
that way, unfortunately for us!!!

The "court of law", Ms. Roy is refering to, is International Court of
Justice and not a local court. And she is not talking about trial of
terrorists in the court of law anyways. What she is, however, lamenting is
the fact that no permission was sought or NO CONCLUSIVE proof was presented
to any NEUTRAL body which could justify a war with Afghanistan. Now, knowing
fully well that attack on Afghanistan is more an attack on its people than
its Taliban rulers, these attacks were neither justified not "fruitful".
What do you think, Laben or Al Zawahri were in Afghanistan until October 7,
2001 when US started pounding it. Yesterday's news papers say Al Zawahri was
nabbed by Iranian Police.

And in the same myopia, we have missed Madeline Albright's statement. What
it means, in a broader of scheme of things, is the same American hegemony
which even Prof. Noam Chomsky has been so strongly critical about, almost
all his life. I see striking similarity of "dissent", if that is what it is,
demonstrated by Arundhati Roy and Noam Chomsky against the establishment,
whether local or international.

I think there is a need to understand the deeper implications of "People
rarely win wars,
governments rarely lose them". What she means to say is that people rarely
want wars and that once in war, whatever the outcome of the  war, it's
invariably the people who lose. Nobody is trying to justify talibansim here
but intellectuals should understand that "civilized" governments like
America's cannot practice talibanism to other countries.

For the kind information of people who are not very happy with the writer,
she has been equally strong critic of the Indian establishment as well. And
you might want to excuse her for here "extremist" descriptions of the state
of affairs. I would give her that license but I would read between lines and
the state-media-corporations nexus, which bombard us with notions so
strongly and so persistently that we start accepting them as facts. Most of
us do!!!

I would also urge some senior members of this forum to contribute their
ideas and also guide the forum from time to time whenever there is
digression, as it is now, from the original intentions of this forum.

Regards,
Yogesh

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 Ashish Hanwadikar wrote :
> -------------
> Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it,
> and propagate it!
> -------------
> IPI_Marker
>
> Look at the article "War Is Peace" by Arundhati Roy at
> http://www.zmag.org/roywarpeace.htm.
>
> "The UN, reduced now to an ineffective abbreviation,
> wasn't even asked
> to mandate the air strikes. (As Madeleine Albright once
> said, "The US
> acts multilaterally when it can, and unilaterally when
> it must.") The
> 'evidence' against the terrorists was shared amongst
> friends in the
> 'Coalition'. After conferring, they announced that it
> didn't matter
> whether or not the 'evidence' would stand up in a court
> of law. Thus,
> in an instant, were centuries of jurisprudence
> carelessly trashed."
>

> Wow! When was the last time a court of law was used to
> try terrorists
> who killed 3000 people? Just show, damn it! If this
> attack would have
> been on India (God forbid) would she have suggested a
> court of law to
> try the offence? And how can a court of law try an
> offence which was
> planned and funded from an area totally outside its
> jurisdiction?
>
> Another great insight from Arundhati Roy "People rarely
> win wars,
> governments rarely lose them". I can list following
> wars in which a
> Govt. lost
> 1) Iraq lost in Kuwait
> 2) Germany, Japan and Italy lost World War II
> 3) Pakistan lost at least 3 wars against India
>
> and so on ...
>
> And as for "People rarely win wars" I don't know what
> to make of that
Because, if we consider revolution as "war" against