it's not just islam....

In case anyone thought that barbaric hate mongering pronouncements
were the sole preserve of islam, read on- here two prominent standard
bearers of the christian political right justify the terrorist act of
sept 11- as divine retribution.

God Gave U.S. 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says
 By John F. Harris
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 14, 2001; Page C03

Television evangelists Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, two of the most
prominent voices of the religious right, said  liberal civil liberties
groups, feminists, homosexuals and abortion rights
supporters bear partial responsibility for Tuesday's terrorist attacks
because their actions have turned God's anger  against America.

"God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to
give us probably what we deserve," said Falwell,  appearing yesterday on
the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700
Club," hosted by Robertson.

"Jerry, that's my feeling," Robertson responded. "I think we've just
seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even  begun to see what they
can do to the major population."
Falwell said the American Civil Liberties Union has "got to take a lot
of blame for this," again winning Robertson's  agreement: "Well, yes."

Then Falwell broadened his blast to include the federal courts and
others who he said were "throwing God out of the  public square." He
added: "The abortionists have got to bear some
burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40
million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I  really believe that
the pagans, and the abortionists, and the
feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make
that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People  for the American Way --
all of them who have tried to secularize
America -- I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this
happen.' "

People for the American Way transcribed the broadcast and denounced the
comments as running directly counter to President  Bush's call for
national unity. Ralph G. Neas, the liberal
group's president, called the remarks "absolutely inappropriate and
irresponsible."

Robertson and others on the religious right gave critical backing to
Bush last year when he was battling for the GOP  presidential
nomination. A White House official called the remarks
"inappropriate" and added, "The president does not share those views."

Falwell was unrepentant, saying in an interview that he was "making a
theological statement, not a legal statement."

"I put all the blame legally and morally on the actions of the
terrorist," he said. But he said America's "secular and  anti-Christian
environment left us open to our Lord's [decision] not to
protect. When a nation deserts God and expels God from the culture . . .
the result is not good."

Robertson was not available for comment, a spokeswoman said. But she
released a statement echoing the remarks he made on  his show. An ACLU
spokeswoman said the group "will
not dignify the Falwell-Robertson remarks with a comment."

 2001 The Washington Post Company