Re: India's place in the world....

vamsi@siliconcorp.com wrote:

>I am not arguing at all....just asking what role do Indians see for
India
>in
>this century on the world stage.

To be frank, I have not spent much time envisioning our role on the
world
stage. I have been much more busy trying to find a way to get our polity
and
society to focus on rationality.

I am extremely dissatisfied with the way our foreign policy has worked
since
Independance and see no reason why we cannot claim our rightful role
[yup, a
huge streak of chavunism here] internationally.
This rightful role would at the least include a recognition of the fact
that
for a new nation we have done not too badly for ourselves, it would take

into account our potential for social/economic/political excellence.

And as soon as we translate this potential into actuality, it would be
easier still to stride forth in the international arena.

Blithely optimistic,
Ritu