Re: American Military presence in Pakistan?

vamsi@siliconcorp.com wrote:

>What I wanted to know is if anyone on this forum IS concerned about the

>military build up of another country in India's backyard?!!  Do we,
>Indians,
>have any serious sense of sovereignty and liberty or do we become
buddies
>with
>anyone when the wind blows in our direction?

I am concerned Vamsi. US military bases in Pak are definitely not in
India's
interest, for the simple reason that these bases would be used to
further
USA's interests. I'm not sanguine enough to believe that after the
events of
Sept. 11 US has suddenly realised what a wonderful country India is.

The official policy is of course, to become friends with anyone when the

wind shifts to us. But I also don't see what we can do about it. Neither
the
proposed bases, nor the proposed sites are Indian. So, our effect on the

decision is non-existent, anyway.

Ritu