Re: On the nuclear weapons issue

Agreed, but how far beyond Pakistan do you want to look?

Abhijit

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 sdcvamsi@yahoo.com wrote:

> The logic that I am advising is that we look beyond Pakistan if we are
to be taken seriously!!

> Sincerely,
> Vamsi M.
>

> > In the list of countries which you claim help prop up Pakistan
(directly
> > or indirectly,) you do not mention Russia. Isn't Russia, which
> > is the main supplier of state-of-the-art weaponry to China, helping
> > sustain Chinese national power and thereby contributing, indirectly,
> > China's ability to supply and sustain Pakistan's military? Following
this
> > logic, I wonder if there is any major nation on earth left against
> > whom we do not have to defend ourselves. Is this a
> > realistic way of fashioning a defense strategy?
> > Abhijit
> >
> > On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 sdcvamsi@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate
it!

> > > My point is quiet simple: we are so fixated on Pakistan (or some
other Islamic nations) that we are
> > > missing an even bigger picture!  Pakistan is belligerent because
it has the support of other military
> > > powers, namely China, North Korea, USA, etc.
> > > (directly or indirectly)!  For example, Pak's missile and nuclear
programs were successful because of
> > > support from North Korea and China!  So, we must focus on
something beyond our border nations if we are
> > > going to have a successful long-term
> > > foreign policy.
> > >
> > > India MUST focus on new military technologies and there is really
no other way!  And the model that I
> > > think is best for India is one where Government funding produces
high quality (sophisticated) weaponry
> > > and also technologies which the domestic industries can use within
India as well as to compete with
> > > international corporations - this dual-use is the best
justification for appropriating large sums of
> > > taxpayer funds.
> > >
> > > Here is an example: during wartime, it is necessary to
build/repair roads and bridges rapidly.  So much
> > > can be learned from a large research grant by the Government which
the private sector can use to build
> > > highways, bridges, flyovers, etc.  Right now, Indian companies
which build roads have little or no
> > > experience and hence they take years instead of months to become
efficient in road construction.
> > > Through a Government funded research for the Armed Forces the
Military gets its knowledge which it can
> > > use during wartime and the private sector can use this knowledge
also to build the country in the
> > > meantime....there are many such dual-use technologies that the
Military can explore if the Government is
> > > willing to fund them.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Vamsi M.

Century.