Re: On the nuclear weapons issue: reply to Subroto R.

In the list of countries which you claim help prop up Pakistan (directly

or indirectly,) you do not mention Russia. Isn't Russia, which
is the main supplier of state-of-the-art weaponry to China, helping
sustain Chinese national power and thereby contributing, indirectly, to
China's ability to supply and sustain Pakistan's military? Following
this
logic, I wonder if there is any major nation on earth left against
whom we do not have to defend ourselves. Is this a
realistic way of fashioning a defense strategy?
Abhijit

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 sdcvamsi@yahoo.com wrote:

> My point is quiet simple: we are so fixated on Pakistan (or some other
Islamic nations) that we are
> missing an even bigger picture!  Pakistan is belligerent because it
has the support of other military
> powers, namely China, North Korea, USA, etc.
> (directly or indirectly)!  For example, Pak's missile and nuclear
programs were successful because of
> support from North Korea and China!  So, we must focus on something
beyond our border nations if we are
> going to have a successful long-term
> foreign policy.
>
> India MUST focus on new military technologies and there is really no
other way!  And the model that I
> think is best for India is one where Government funding produces high
quality (sophisticated) weaponry
> and also technologies which the domestic industries can use within
India as well as to compete with
> international corporations - this dual-use is the best justification
for appropriating large sums of
> taxpayer funds.
>
> Here is an example: during wartime, it is necessary to build/repair
roads and bridges rapidly.  So much
> can be learned from a large research grant by the Government which the
private sector can use to build
> highways, bridges, flyovers, etc.  Right now, Indian companies which
build roads have little or no
> experience and hence they take years instead of months to become
efficient in road construction.
> Through a Government funded research for the Armed Forces the Military
gets its knowledge which it can
> use during wartime and the private sector can use this knowledge also
to build the country in the
> meantime....there are many such dual-use technologies that the
Military can explore if the Government is