Re: On the nuclear weapons issue: reply to Subroto R.

My point is quiet simple: we are so fixated on Pakistan (or some other Islamic nations) that we are
missing an even bigger picture!  Pakistan is belligerent because it has the support of other military
powers, namely China, North Korea, USA, etc.
(directly or indirectly)!  For example, Pak's missile and nuclear programs were successful because of
support from North Korea and China!  So, we must focus on something beyond our border nations if we are
going to have a successful long-term
foreign policy.

India MUST focus on new military technologies and there is really no other way!  And the model that I
think is best for India is one where Government funding produces high quality (sophisticated) weaponry
and also technologies which the domestic industries can use within India as well as to compete with
international corporations - this dual-use is the best justification for appropriating large sums of
taxpayer funds.

Here is an example: during wartime, it is necessary to build/repair roads and bridges rapidly.  So much
can be learned from a large research grant by the Government which the private sector can use to build
highways, bridges, flyovers, etc.  Right now, Indian companies which build roads have little or no
experience and hence they take years instead of months to become efficient in road construction.
Through a Government funded research for the Armed Forces the Military gets its knowledge which it can
use during wartime and the private sector can use this knowledge also to build the country in the
meantime....there are many such dual-use technologies that the Military can explore if the Government is
willing to fund them.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.