Re: On the nuclear weapons issue: reply to Vamsi M.

I have sketched the only long-term peacable outcome I can see;  we don't
go
back to "unification" with Pakistan, merely a confederation or a common
market.    Other worse examples have made peace, e.g. in Europe or
between
the United States and Russia.    Much depends on the current flow of
events
regarding the evolution of Islamic societies in the 21st Century.

Of course, on the other hand, the 50-year civil war on the Indian
subcontinent may continue, fanned by Western arms dealers and their
local
agents, and given the stupidity of alleged strategic thinkers on both
sides,
may even lead to an exchange of cities, so e.g. Lahore and Karachi get
destroyed in return for Mumbai and Delhi.

Calcutta may then resume its role as the capital of India once again.

A Cal resident

PS the last sentence is dark gallows humour, nothing more, for anyone
who
may require an explicit explanation.