Re: On the nuclear weapons issue

I generally disagree on a few points stated below by Dr. Roy.  First, India should focus on the world
stage rather than Pakistan for its defense issues.  In fact, Military programs and Space programs MUST
be combined within India or at least occupy same importance in Delhi.  The key question in this century
is whether Indian Defense programs can generate enough research and technologies to give Indian
Industries and corporations the advantage they need?!  That is the nature of wars within this century
(on Earth and in Space) and Indian Military has a big role in it!!  The fact is that some countries like
US and Britain have this model where their corporations benefit immensely from defense research - all
other models seem to be weaker unless we can come up with something better where Government funding is
involved which can also benefit the private sector!!

Second, I have been arguing that India should deploy low yield nukes (NOT nuclear weapons in the
traditional sense).  India must continue to upgrade its military to enhance reconnaissance, mobility,
and attack capabilities.  New developments in militaries of the world demands such a readiness.

Third, the union between India and Pakistan as proposed by Dr. Roy is impossible given the ideological
differences in politics and cultures....if anything India and Pakistan must drift toward such a union by
some other means and over a longer term!

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.

--
To: debate@indiapolicy.org