Re: WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!

Vamsi wrote:

>Oh comon Ritu, admit it....you are one of the few on this forum who is
>always
>bad mouthing India and Indians with a vicious vengeance....

Hm, I wonder whether you are getting the same mails that I am posting.
If
yes, then I wonder at your inability to process statements and
information.

Bad mouthing India and Indians with a vicious vengeance? I might have
been
offended, had I not been so amused. How do you define 'bad mouthing with
vicious vengeance'? Surely, an acknowledgement of reality cannot be
called
that [at least not by a rational adult, anyway].

OF course, if the reason I provoke your ire is my refusal to subscribe
the view that India is all that is good and the US is all that is bad,
then
I can't really help it. I left behind the emotional problems and
assumptions
of a ten year old the day I turned 11. I would respectfully suggest that
you
try the same.

Why don't you substantiate your above description with relevant lines
taken
from my mails? I will give you my reasons for each and every statement
made
by me. Unlike you, Vamsi, I don't throw empty words in the air.

I'll be the first to admit that I am extremely critical of Indian
society
and polity. I have my reasons, primary among them is the fact that I
refuse
to close my eyes to reality and indulge in baseless fantasies [when I
wish
to write fiction, I do just that - I don't confuse fiction with fact, no

matter how tempting that might be].

Also, I am Indian, living in India. I have built a life, a business
here. I
pay my taxes, vote in elections and have the right to criticize my home
the
way I see fit. I will not give up this right for anything, let alone for
the
sake of sanctimonious idiots who can't stop bleating long enough to
think.

I say, often and loudly, that we are in a mess. We are. I say that our
greatest threat is from us. It is. I say that focussing on the misdeeds
of
others is a waste of time and doesn't do anything constructive for us.
It is
true.

What you fail to understand that this criticism stems from a love for my

country. I fail to see what service I would render my nation by telling
patently ridiculous, demonstratably baseless lies [I seem to remember
somebody in this forum making the statement that India offers the same
opportunities as the US for individual advancement. Strangely enough,
that
certain somebody doesn't even live here]. How can we even think of
improving
when we don't have the courage to acknowledge the present messy reality?

Surely, an acknowledgement of what is has to be the first step in
change. I
thought that would be obvious to anybody with a brain. Apparently, I am
guilty of overestimating the sense of some people.

Another aspect of my criticism stems from an almost chauvinistic pride
in my
culture and heritage. I am a student of Indian history and politics,
have
been for the past 15 years. I have read our ancient epics and shastras
[I
wonder if you have actually read any of the originals] and I am sick of
the
currently prevailing perverted form of the sanatana dharma. A lot of my
criticism stems from the thought, "Hell! If anybody ought to know
better, it
is us!"

In all your harpings about the cloud of distrust that is settling over
the
US today [with regard to Asians and Arabs], did you ever stop to think
of
the way we treat our own people? If you had, you would not have made
such a
long, gleeful jump to define the entire US as evil. What about what
happened
at the funeral of Balbir Singh Sondhi? A highly placed representative of
the
executive went there and actually declared that this was a cowardly act
of
murder, not a demonstration of patriotism. Politically motivated? Sure.
Just
words? Maybe. But this certainly more than Rao did in December 1992 or
Vajpayee did this month.
Try giving credit where it is due, it won't subtract anything from you.

I have another reason to object to your constant US bashing as well. I
personally am of the opinion that any individual who avails of the
benefits
of a society, country or civilization owes some kind of a loyalty back
them. I feel this way when people from the north-east don't pay taxes,
avail
of the reservations and then refuse to call themselves Indians. I feel
this
way when foreign students come here, take benefit of our education
system
and never miss an opportunity to run down my country. The principle
remains
the same, even when the country being run down is not my own. It is
called
consistency.

>Proud to hear, however, that you know some brave folks who fought for
>India!

Not just fought but died fighting too. And guess what? They were all
capable
of thought, and felt much the same as I do about the way things are in
our
country today. What makes you think that they do not [in some cases, did

not] criticize India? What makes you think that they are happy with the
way
the country is being run? They risk all, for a miserable pittance, and
then
see their gains frittered away by spineless politicians. Do you think
they
really subscribe to the view that India is absolutely perfect? Surely,
even
you have to be capable of more logic than that. And what do you care
about
the Indian Armed Forces anyway? They'd all die soon enough if your ideas

were consistently applied. For the sake of all that is good and
precious,
Vamsi, stop invoking their name and hiding behind them. Some things,
some
sacrifices are too big to be profaned for the sake of rhetoric.

You do not seem to have gained the emotional maturity to realise that
love
for one's country doesn't mean closing one's eyes to the problems
prevalent
in the same.

I certainly hope that this clarifies the issues for you somewhat, but
then
again, I am not holding my breath.

Ritu