Re: the truth about America....

For what it's worth, I second Priyo's comments.

Yes, hate crimes have been committed and news of this
has promptly spread across the world. What hasn't been
reported world-wide (and in the TOI) is the promptness and
impartiality with which local law enforcement has dealt with these
isolated incidents. Have the murderers who slaughtered innocent Sikhs
in Delhi in 1984 been brought to justice? And that's just one riot!

In a country of 300 million, it is not
surprising that a few bigots will use sept. 11 as an excuse to assault
and abuse "non-Americans"; what may be surprising is that not all the
opportunists are white. Moreover, countless locals have acted with
kindness towards their Muslim neighbors. Of course, they shall remain
countless because third world elites (and middle class) would much
rather
enumerate America's vices than virtues.

Indian (and third world) elites love to point out America's faults;
one wonders why. The reason is simple: envy. Everything about America
reminds us of how miserably we have failed in our venture to build a
prosperous, free and civil India. When faced with the truth of this, we
can either a) writhe with envy or b) set about the task of nation
building
with renewed vigor. Clearly, we have picked the former.

Abhijit

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Priyo wrote:

> [...]
> healthy respect for Vamsi's views.  I cannot believe that he would
make
> =
> a comment like this in his post.  The Romanian dispatch may be a =
> propaganda or whatever, but compared to the level of atrocities that
was
> =
> perpetrated on the US, hate crimes and assault on minority businesses
=
> were minimal and I happen to know as I live in New York and remain =
> active in the community.
>
> Guys like Vamsi love to live in the US but also love to criticize it =

> whenever they can.   If the Americans really pointed their guns at
your
> =
> back you would have been a history long time ago my dear friend.  If =

> what happened on September 11th had happened in India, the biggest =
> democracy, thousands of Muslims would have been slaughtered by now in
=
> riots on mere suspicion and thousands more after confirmation.  Yes,
it
> =
> is true, a number of unfortunate hate crimes did take place and some =

> lives were lost, but compared to the scale of devastation this country
=

> suffered those atrocities are insignificant.  I happen to believe our
=
> leaders and the media did an excellent job in keeping bigotry and =
> xenophobia under control and ordinary Americans, across the land, =
> displayed extraordinary virtues in patience and tolerance.  In many =
> places hundreds of Americans have gathered around Islamic centers in =

> symbolic gestures of protection and embrace of American Muslims.  I
know
> =
> it first hand.  In many cities, Christian congregations have started =

> wearing hijab to identify with fellow Muslim women.  There is no =
> comparison between the voices of peace and hate in these matters.  It
is
> =
> time that we acknowledge that the freedom, opportunities and the =
> tolerance of contrasting viewpoints that characterize the American =
> psyche is fairly unique in this world and were instrumental for guys =

> like Vamsi and I to reach these shores and stay here.  So please do
not
> =
> shit where you eat.=20
>
> As an Indian-American I am proud to acknowledge that I feel safer here
=

> than in the back streets of our Indian cities and I am willing to give
=

> credit where credit is due.    There is nothing more untrue for Vamsi
> =
> state that "there is little respect for anyone that seems
"un-American"