Re: the truth about America....

 Dear Gaurav:
=20
 I address this note specifically to you but it is meant for all my =
friends who have taken part in this debate.  I enjoyed immensely the =
exchange of ideas including the designation of an ass kisser from Dr. =
Subrata Roy.  I however must admit I, see nothing wrong in kissing asses
=
when they are round and sexy.  The trouble is that most of them are =
smelly and have holes in them.  Thanks to all.
=20
I owe you an apology if my message conveyed an impression that I =
stereotyped Indians based on those unfortunate comments from Vamsi.  Far
=
from it.  I would seriously hesitate to do that and, as an Indian, I =
would consider that an affront as well.  I believe, no it is my =
conviction, that our mother land is as diverse and enriched in =
intellectual or emotional creativity as this country is and no less =
beautiful.  Why all these intellectual, organizational and emotional =
capital did not translate into an efficient engine of nation-building =
and why our country continues to remain rudderless as a whole, is a =
matter deliberated ad nauseum and ad infinitum by many intellectuals =
like Subrota Roy over the years with no sustainable conclusions.  I know
=
I am treading on soft turf here as an avalanche of mail would be sent =
forthwith with statistics to prove me wrong but that what's I truly feel
=
about the status of our country.  Yes, there have been developments but
=
the parts did not sum up to a whole.  I have some humble comments to =
offer in the matter and perhaps in another time we will anatomize the =
issue together once again.

Unfortunately, my pessimism about us, Indians, being able to work =
together toward a common goal for a sustained length of time and our =
general inability to separate the grain from chaff and see the big =
picture, is based on limited but representative personal experiences.
=
Over the years, I have been involved in certain community organizations
=
in administrative capacity and observed first hand how worthwhile =
projects were torpedeod by the constant bickering and back-stabbing  =
name-calling and posturing that took place among its principals.  You =
may recall the recent most shameful events in Chicago India day parade =

saga which were loved by the media.   Most of these people mind you, if
=
not all, are the cream of our country, cultural ambassadors, prominet =
Indian-Americans, well-educated, accomplished and eminently successful =

financially.  I was appalled to notice as to how education provided so =

little wisdom and vision in these people, how their giant egos clashed =

for silliest things and how finally the baby was flushed with the bath =

water.  If this constitutes the quality of performance by the top =
echelons of our community, in projects, which are primarily =
philanthropic without bottom line concerns,  just consider the feeding =

frenzy that take place when those considerations are involved.  I have =

been so disgusted that I have since dissociated myself from most of =
these associations.  I came to realize that it is just not the cream =
that rises to the top, shit too.  =20

What I wrote so far would perhaps mirror similar experiences of many =
participants of this forum.  What I believe I learnt from America, among
=
other things, is the ability to look at myself as well with unjaundiced
=
eye , perform intense self-examination and  realize that I am no less a
=
failure myself as well in all of this.   I engage lustily in the same =
shit of negative behavior that I publicly abhor and I need to start with
=
myself first.   I believe this disquiet with myself and the desire to =
purify me first is a gift from America.  We all read about these =
self-evident truths in our school books when we were growing up and =
spoke glowing about the need to cleanse oneself but those were just =
words without conviction, plain and simple posturing. =20

If our collective soul undertakes this inward journey recognizing the =
need to clear our stables first, take a fresh critical look  at =
ourselves before anything and as Jack Welch said begin by curing minor =

evils, neighborhood by neighborhood, one at a time,  we will be =
superstars before long.  Patriotism is a critical ingredient in this =
ruthless self-examination process and as far as I am concerned that is a
=
gift I received from America.  September 11th produced an electricity in
=
American air which has glued the nation in one incredible entity.  I and
=
all the rest of us billion, want desperately to become a nation like =
that where all young Indian motherfuckers in the street smilingly =
sacrifice their life for their country.  That is my prayer for our =
country,

You may recall what the Walrus has said in Alice in Wonderland, "the =
time has come to speak of many things

.

it!
> > =
> > I don't understand what is being achieved by US-bashing of the sort
=
Vamsi is indulging in. Are we seeking comfort in America's imperfections
=
to hide our own?

But as much as I disagree with Vamsi on his comments about America, =
Priyo, you are guilty of the same wrong which you criticize Vamsi for.

Just as it is unfair to make generalizations about Americans , it is =
equally ridiculous to make the sort of generalizations you make about =
Indians. If your generalization about America does not focus on the =
rabble-rousing on radio talk shows, why should your generalization of =
India focus on the words & deeds of some fanatics? Just as we have to be
=
understanding
about American xenophobic sentiment, why should the same understanding =

not apply when we air our sentiments when we are hurt (as Vamsi is in =
this case)?

When we talk about violence in India when such events take place, it is
=
important to understand that this is not limited to India and can be =
seen all across Asia and even in parts of Europe. An important thing to
=
understand here is that almost all such violence is mob driven and =
accompanied by poor law enforcement. It takes minutes to collect 500 =
people in India, try
doing that even in New York and you won't get 20. And quite clearly the
=
law enforcement machinery in the US is much more effective. One can hark
=
back to the 60s when there was no difference between the policemen in =
Mississippi and the ones in Mumbai, when both stood on the sidelines as
=
KKK & Shiv Sena mobs robbed & pillaged.

The basic point is that just because there wasn't widespread violence =
doesn't mean the Americans are a more tolerant people and just - they =
have all kinds of people and it is just a question of who has an upper =

hand at what point in time.  America has journeyed through its own =
trials & tribulations into becoming the country that it is, and so are =

Indians doing it. We need can-do people who have faith & belief in our =

own. We don't need the sort of deprecating remarks you make about =
Indians. It is a
> > gross insult to the large number of Indians (including the likes of
=
Parivartan) who are part of a daily struggle to make India a better =
place and ,unlike you or me living in the land of nuts & honey, have had
=
the courage to ask "what they can do for the country and not what the =
country can do for them".

 Regards

 Gaurav