Re: the truth about America....

On reading Vamsi's response I am led to believe that I completely failed
=
to make him see my viewpoint.  I do not wish it to be a shouting match =

between two individuals in a common forum and thereby downgrade myself =

to the same level of filth and name calling that I so passionately =
loathe.  However, some of his comments need a response and I would try =

to accomplish that as civilly as I can.

To answer the concern in his first invective, let me assure him that no,
=
I am not an American agent trying to infiltrate a very important chat =
room of Indians where matters of profound importance and great =
philosophical significance are debated and decided upon.  I am a 54 year
=
old, a graying son of a bitch from the lowly Bengal, a bank regulator by
=
profession and over 30 years in this country and in this city.   I have
=
been a part of this debate almost from the beginning when Sanjeev Sablok
=
started it.  I hope that satisfies the concerns of Mr. Vamsi.

Yes, I feel America is my home, a place to protect just as my dear India
=
is, and, it is my duty to stay behind this country in these moments of =

perilous contingencies, as George Will has most appropriately called it.
=
 Starting my life here from a suitcase, I believe I achieved some =
financial and emotional tranquility like many other Indian brothers of =

mine, including Vamsi.  Like no other country in the world including our
=
own land, this country has embraced us, recognized us and given us food,
=
protection and shelter as a rewards for the honest work we performed.  I
=
would take a couple of breath before I begin to trash it altogether. =20

Furthermore, I do not think after 30 years and achieving some level of =

visibility in the financial world, my American experience needs to be =
reaffirmed or refuted by an article from the Times of India.  =
Nevertheless, the article recites a common theme nowadays, which is how
=
an individual( in this case Mr. Uday Menon) or a group of individuals or
=
businesses were subjected to hate and bias reactions and heckling.  I =
believe I decried these incidents as forcefully as anyone else and my =
post indicates that.  What I object to and continue to do so is the =
statement or implication that these events are in someway symptomatic of
=
American character, where immigrants live in fear and guns are aimed at
=
their backs and their lives are lived as  second class citizens.  It is
=
emphatically not so as most of us participating in these debates would =

confirm.  What happened in some of the ethnic minority communities are =

knee-jerk responses to unforeseen and unexplainable events and can be =
attributable to fear and ignorance in a country gripped with anxiety and
=
apprehension.  In no way shape and form, such sporadic events should be
=
characterized as representing a pattern. They are not typical of =
American scene by any stretch of imagination.

I continue to stress that given the size of this country and the ethnic
=
mix of its people and against the backdrop of such unforeseen =
devastating terror.  such hate crimes are minimal and statistically =
insignificant.  Please do not conclude that I tend to rationalize or =
justify them in any manner by the above statement.   They are not, as =
each incident is deplorable and should never have taken place to begin =

with.  Having said that,  I also believe from personal experience that =

vast majority of Americans do not allow, support or participate in these
=
attacks and/or condone them.  Far more than the attacks reported in the
=
press are the instances where America empathized with the minorities, =
especially Muslims and extended a helping hand in their moments of =
isolation.  I have attached to this post an article written by an =
erudite Muslim, addressing the American Muslims, which will be far more
=
revealing, incisive and thoughtful than the article from the Times of =
India.  It is a word document.

Patriotism has become a bad word these days, a decadent emotion, a =
bourgeois bullshit.  Being in America I learned the value of such an =
emotion and my life has been enriched in the process.  An American in =
the street may be naiv=E9 asking Bin Laden to kiss his Irish ass, but he
=
is one determined motherfuc--r ready to do impossible things to protect
=
his country and its people and interests if needed.  If our mother India
=
could give birth to some such Indian Jihadis to protect her torn =
backside and put some smile back in her sad face by building the country
=
brick by brick, foolish but resolute instead of enlightened, corrupt and
=
word-spinner,  we would have removed the smell of the third world from =

our skins long time ago. =20

If ever Mr. Vamsi decides to lead such a campaign, he will find me an =
ardent follower.  Before that, let's recognize goodness when we see it.

Regards,

Priyo

----- Original Message -----=20