Re: WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!

Vamsi wrote:

>Yes much like today's NATO vs. the Free World....except no one would
>dare to think different today!!

Dare to think differently from whom? The US led West? If that is what
you
think then you need to take another look at world politics. Look beyond
the
US media and you would find that the patterns are more complex than the
NATO
vs. Free World divide. Of course, it is erronous to assume that the NATO
is
a monolithic structure.

>India's defense policy MUST follow this same dogma or else we are at
the
>mercy of
>others.  Today, only one country (India) must have the best weaponry so

>that everyone
>will believe our propoganda completely in the hopes of feeling secure
>under our
>military apparatus and no one will ever question us - I like
>that....don't you?!

No, I don't. I would hate to see India turn into another US in the realm
of
international politics. Bullying is never an effective way of building a

lasting peace or enduring goodwill. And no matter how big our arsenal,
we
are not secure if many hate us all over the world. Surely, that is a
point
that doesn't need to be belaboured any further.

Also, to me that would be the ultimate servility - removing America's
power
structure but retaining their ideology [or lack of it]. I refuse to
emulate
the mistakes of America.

Apart from a deep seated aversion to imitating their mistakes [as
opposed to
their many good points], I am also suspicious of any individual,
organisation or country that prefers not to be questioned. Smacks too
much
of totalitarianism, methinks.

>Yes, the rogue hegemonic nations also have access to nukes and they
>didn't want a
>democratic India to have such weapons.  Don't you see?  We are the good

>guys here!!

'Rogue hegemonic nation'? And who might these be? And what is the big
deal
anyway? We have nuclear weapons - we have CBMs and bombs and the
technology
to deliver them. To what extent should we divert our resources to build
bigger arsenal and why?

As for us being the good guys, that is too sweeping a generalisation to
retain any meaning. Real life doesn't work that way. And besides, any
such
broad division is based on not on the divide between good and bad; but
rather on the divide between 'us' and 'them'. Consider the present
fiasco
for the moment - US firmly believes that they are the good guys
[domestically and internationally] while the 'others' are the devil
incarnates. I find it inconsistent to bemoan the suspicion Americans
have
for all that is un-american while advocating the same path for India.

>For the last time, low-yield nukes are not nuclear weapons in the
>traditional sense.
>India MUST build the strongest military in the world to protect its
>integrity or risk
>being raped!!

Risk being raped? By whom? When? Where? How? Why? I do not mean to be
offensive Vamsi, but this is just silly. What on earth are you talking
about? Surely, there must be a point beneath all this rhetoric.

>Good point but why did you forget such an important date....here it is
>again: May 11th,
>1998 is the day when India stood against the powerful nations to
protect
>its freedoms
>and heritage!!

I forgot the date because I do not consider it to be important. We have
had
the potential since 1974. And when I heard that we had acted on it, my
sole
reaction was, "Well, so what?" For some reason, I do not consider the
acquisition of weapons of mass destruction to be a laudatory or
important
event. Sure, the political climate of today make it a bit necessary, but

that is just because we have not seriously looked for an alternative.

And, once again, I fail to see any huge threat to Indian culture,
freedoms
and heritage that doesn't originate within our borders.

>Yes, we have dirt in India too and in my mind the dirtiest beggars are
>those that look
>upon foreign powers as the good guys and don't see the light and
realize
>that India is
>being threatened every day of every year and we are becoming complacent

>in both domestic and foreign policies!!

See, anybody who considers any nation as 'good' or 'bad' is just being
juvenile. I know of no nation, at any point in history, that could be
consistently defined by either of these two terms.
I do agree that our country is under threat, but I am of the opinion
that
this threat stems from within us.

>In other words, the worst of
>the beggars blame other beggars in the country for beating them in
their
>trade!!

I am afraid I completely lost you there.

>Precisely my point, China has a much stronger military and a greater
>nuclear arsenal -
>no one will push them around!!  Thank you so much for bringing this up!

>I can't
>understand why some Indians play "chicken" when it comes to national
>defense, weapons,
>etc.

Um, you might not wish to thank me when I am through with this point.
China
is not pushed around because it refuses to be pushed around. It also has
strong military and a huge nuclear arsenal. However, the only area in
which
I consider it worth emulating is its consistently nationalistic foreign
policy. I find nothing else in China to be worthy of emulating - not
their
society, not their lack of freedoms, not their attitude towards others,
certainly not their arsenal. I just like the fact that they do not make
stupid foreign policy concessions to try and appease others. That is
all.

I can't understand why some Indians play chicken [and if my knowledge of
the
term is right, you fit this bill] or why some others act chicken [this,
think, is what you *actually* meant] where national defence is
concerned. I
find both reactions to be based in an incomplete appreciation of
reality.
And what do I mean by that? These lines [by S.N. Pant, I think] say this

much better -
"Kshama shobhti us bhujang ko jiske paas garal ho,
Use kya jo dantheen, vishrahit, vineet saral ho"

To put it in English, we need a balance between belligerence and
appeasement.

Ritu