Re: the truth about America....

As a past participant to the India policy debates, I always had a =
healthy respect for Vamsi's views.  I cannot believe that he would make
=
a comment like this in his post.  The Romanian dispatch may be a =
propaganda or whatever, but compared to the level of atrocities that was
=
perpetrated on the US, hate crimes and assault on minority businesses =
were minimal and I happen to know as I live in New York and remain =
active in the community.

Guys like Vamsi love to live in the US but also love to criticize it =
whenever they can.   If the Americans really pointed their guns at your
=
back you would have been a history long time ago my dear friend.  If =
what happened on September 11th had happened in India, the biggest =
democracy, thousands of Muslims would have been slaughtered by now in =
riots on mere suspicion and thousands more after confirmation.  Yes, it
=
is true, a number of unfortunate hate crimes did take place and some =
lives were lost, but compared to the scale of devastation this country =

suffered those atrocities are insignificant.  I happen to believe our =
leaders and the media did an excellent job in keeping bigotry and =
xenophobia under control and ordinary Americans, across the land, =
displayed extraordinary virtues in patience and tolerance.  In many =
places hundreds of Americans have gathered around Islamic centers in =
symbolic gestures of protection and embrace of American Muslims.  I know
=
it first hand.  In many cities, Christian congregations have started =
wearing hijab to identify with fellow Muslim women.  There is no =
comparison between the voices of peace and hate in these matters.  It is
=
time that we acknowledge that the freedom, opportunities and the =
tolerance of contrasting viewpoints that characterize the American =
psyche is fairly unique in this world and were instrumental for guys =
like Vamsi and I to reach these shores and stay here.  So please do not
=
shit where you eat.=20

As an Indian-American I am proud to acknowledge that I feel safer here =

than in the back streets of our Indian cities and I am willing to give =

credit where credit is due.    There is nothing more untrue for Vamsi to
=
state that "there is little respect for anyone that seems "un-American"
=
".   I do not know where he lives, and perhaps in the boondocks of =
Georgia or West Virginia or Oklahoma it is so,  but here in this great =

city of New York and many other similar communities like such comments =

are laughable.  There is nothing uniquely American here except hot dogs
=
and coke and beer cans.  And that's what provides the city its vibrancy
=
and pizzazz.=20

It is time that we refrain from making these irresponsible and =
inherently hypocritical statements.  We Indians are masters of criticism
=
and faultfinding and not much action thereafter.  In my many years of =
involvement in the Indian community and seeing first hand the endless =
criticism and bickering that originate in the finest educated and =
intellectual minds, I grow increasingly pessimistic about our ability to
=
create lasting values despite best intentions.  That's why we cross the
=
seas and then drown in a pond.   Please Vamsi, at least you, should not
=
be a prey to such simplistic prognostications.   America has many faults
=
and criticizable weaknesses but overall it is the best place to live in
=
the world and let us give it some credit.  You know more about that than
=
anyone else.

Regards.