Re: free-markets in the time of anthrax

1. Yes, there is no country which is a free market. But the idea of
'free
market'
remains an ideal for some. I tried to analyse the flaws in this belief
in an
article
which can be seen in the publications page of ipi.
2. It is not that whoever wants more government control is automatically
leftist. One can also see, for example, that fascists or for that
matter,
religious fundamentalists
want total control of government. I think it is time we moved beyond any

kind of labels and analysed each issue on its own merit.
What is important is to look into the questions of what kind of
government
intervention, in what manner and its consequences on society at large.
3. When you acknowledge that 'free market' has not existed anywhere, on
what
basis
would you advocate it to be the ideal which needs to be understood as
something distinct
from neo-liberalism? I think we can understand the article cited better
if
we don't have
the predeliction of 'free market' as an ideal and go ahead with noting
the
points that are made.
Broadly speaking, 'neo-liberalism' refers to the idea of allowing
external
trade by reducing barriers and by reducing government interventions
while
'Keynesian approach' was the one that was
adopted in the USA in the early 20'th Century of Government expenditure
be a major stimulus
for boosting the economy. I think all that the article has tried to
argue is
that things
seem to be going the Keynesian way whereas these very same agencies,
till
the other
day, spoke of neo-liberalism as an ideal. Perhaps many people won't
disagree
with this.
Otherwise, how would one explain huge deficit spending being planned by
US
government, which
was exactly what Keynes had prescribed at a different historical
context?