Re: WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Barun as my point was casually
diluted/overlooked....which is the Indian Government performed nuclear tests
with the full support of its population in the interest of national security
and given such a concern for self-preservation any sanctions upon democratic
India could be construed as an act of war!  I have this quote from CNN.com
"The Indian populace is also bullish; an opinion poll published in the Times
of India showed that 91 percent of urban Indians approved of the tests and 82
percent believed the country should now build nuclear arms".

As for Mr. Barun's point that India is no better off after the nuclear tests,
I make the following points:

1. India has a role to play in the entire Asian Continent (not just Pakistan)
as it is fast becoming obvious and hence, nuclear deterrence is very much part
of global diplomacy in this century!!

2. Nuclear tests have yielded valuable scientific data to Indian Scientists
and Indian Industry which otherwise may not be available.  The fact that the
2nd test combined a fusion bomb means that India is in a position to develop
advanced reactors for power generation instead of importing them from other
countries.

There are also many applications in the medical field if the GoI chooses to
disseminate some of its data to the Indian industry without jeopardizing
national security!

I would like to ask Mr. Barun how he has concluded that the nuclear tests, as
condemned by the nuclear hegemonies, are an "overt" action by democratic
India?

--
Sincerely,
Vamsi M.