A republic and how to rule one

The political framework for ruling india was one set by the british. It
was the framework to rule an empire. What we never did was transform
that to a truly republican system in which the principle of subsidiarity
rules supreme.

subsidiarity - ALL power to the people. what people cannot resolve thro'
civil society and mutual consultation should go to the nearest local
government. What local governments can't decide upon by mutual
consultation goes to the district, the state and so on upto the centre.

An important aspect is that of monetary power. All people should have a
comlpete control over their property as long as they pay a fee to
exclude others from natural resources and societally created value (land
rent for eg.). The municipal govt has to show its records to the people
and ask for money for its tasks. Similarly, the district asks the
panchayats and the municipal auhtorities, the state asks the district
and the centre asks the state.

Whenever i chalk out this scenario to anyone, they respond with
platitudes like - India will split up if this system were in place - How
will we fund the army ?, etc. These objections are made from a very
short term perspective. In the long term, any persno will realise that
the only way to run a republic is bottom-up. If maximum power is at the
level of the people and they have a right to revoke it, then the
government will be forever on its toes and keep itself accountable,
because unlike today, it will have a genuine initiaitve to keep its
costs low. If we ever, ever give more power to a higher level government
than we have given to a lower level government, which is the unfortunate
system of today -  we open ourselves to being ruled by a corrupt empire.

We should not be surprised by the bloating of government practically
everywhre in the world, because they have followed the empire model. The
US lost its republic with its civil war. Switzerland, which has powerful
cantons is a good example of subsidiarity in practice.

So, next time we wonder on any ineffici
rnment, think about subsidiarity and ask your friendly neighbourhood
politician - how much power is he willing togive you back (which you, as
a citizen of a republic should have)

regards
Prakash

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 sdcvamsi@yahoo.com wrote :
> -------------
> Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it,
> and propagate it!
> -------------
>
> Mr. Amar has brought a very good point to the debate
> room.  I made a similar
> point before and that is the political leaders in India
> are no better than
> their British masters that left the country....and now
> they are serving the
> American masters too.  The democratic framework that is
> in place now is
> probably the only ally for Indians, if we choose to use
> it - the politicians
> that fill in the various ranks of Government are
> jeopardizing Indian culture,
> pride, dignity, and India's place in the world!!
>
> If it is so that the uneducated masses do not
> appreciate the simple elegance
> of Indian Democracy then it is our responsibility, as
> patriotic citizens of
> India, to educate them by participating in the
> political process ourselves and
> reaching out to the masses!!
>
> Sincerely,
> Vamsi M.
>
> amar rao wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I just came across a small news piece in
> > Times of India that must make everyone feel sick about
> > the people who claim to rule this country and speak
> > tons about "ramrajya" and all the "S".
> > The news read that India is making arangements to send
> > a few tons of Wheat to the deprived people of
> > Afghanistan. Well, my only concern is where was this
> > wheat when poorest of the poor people of Orissa were
> > hungry and were dying for food.
> > This is really pathetic and sorry state of affairs.
> > And our own opposition did not even care to bring it
> > to public view.
> > I surely am not against helping the people
hold is in