Re: Re: Defence Deals

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Padmanabha Rao wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Sanjai Kukreti wrote:
>  I would be extremely interested in finding out which "venture
>  capitalists" have funded Tehelka.com's little adventure...  Are they a
>  neutral paper, or are they a paper which has biases for and against
>  certain parties and ideologies? I think it's worth looking into.
>
> The IB had reportedly interrogated one of those two journalists many
> times, long back in October. I wonder why this piece of the issue has not
> been covered in greater detail by the media. The fact itself was given out
> by the dotcom's ceo, yet none in the media have deemed it worth their
> while to follow and report it clearly.
>
> I am not sure if this is on-topic to ipi, but does anyone know more on
> this ?

Hi Padmanabha Rao,

	I had written abt Tehelka's funding in an earlier post on March
19th. I'm repeating it here ::

Here are some information that i found about Tehelka on the web...

Tehelka.com seems to be mainly promoted by its founders : Tarun Tejpal,
Aniruddha Bahal and Minty Tejpal who own a major part of the company. Apart
from that, Mumbai-based stock broking firm First Global seems to have a 10
per cent holding in the company..... Mostly, it looks just like any other
ambitious internet start-up.... except for high-profile people like Amitabh
Bachchan, Khushwant Singh, V S Naipaul,etc on its board of directors. More on
this here :
http://www.agencyfaqs.com/www1/news/stories/2000/11/17/1184.html

Tarun Tejpal, one of the founders of Tehelka was working for Outlook before he
brought his buddies from Outlook to the start-up Tehelka.....
More on the Tehelka team here : http://www.tehelka.com/dateam.htm
Officially, Tehelka.com is a supposed to be a division of
Buffalo Networks Pvt, Ltd (look at bottom of all Tehelka webpages)

        I doubt if there were any vested interests in their
corruption-finding,
except their own success as a media company with emphasis on content (which
many start-ups lack). Whatever their interests or their biases, i believe what
they have done has to be appreciated. Of course, everyone knows there is
corruption going on everywhere. We were simply looking away. Now this has made
the nation sit-up and think........

--navanee