Re: Re: Democratic political funding....

the problem is not the political parties, but this entire system of a
powerful central government. This is the essence of our problems. We merely
mouthed the words -"panchayati Raj" without implementing in essence what
should have been done.

Destroy the power of the central government to tax people and borrow money
from outside. Let taxes be collected only by the local self government.
Most importantly, let the local level body have discretion over this money
- i.e financial autonomy. Let state governments be run on contributions
from local government and mineral royalties. Similarly, let the centre be
run by annual or bi-annual auctions of wireless spectrum, royalty on usage
of coastline and contributions from state and local level bodies.

What is very important is we need to have accountability
- of the centre to the state, of the state to the district - of the
district to the tehsil or city council, and of the city council to the
citizen. i,e bottom-up governance instead of top-down governance.

Consider this - 100 crore people, 500 seats. My individual vote is worth
only 1 in 20 lakh. In the present situation it is a rational decision for
an individual to not even bother to vote. His ability to sway the election
is minimal. so, why should he vote ?
to resolve this, we need local self government in letter and spirit.
governments will compete amongst themselves to get the richest people into
their fold. Competition will do what regulations can never do.

regards
prakash