Re: Enron India Problem

I would call myself a libertarian and respect the sanctity of a contract
more than a majority of the people. But here there has arisen a serious
discrepancy. The MSEB is not a private company answerable to its
shareholders. Its not even a public comapny answerable to citizens. the
bureaucrats who signed the letter have nothing to lose  when they signed
it. Will you call this fair ? What the government should have offered
DPC is merely what it offers other businesses - the safety of their
property, fairness in legal cases and the right to sell to anyone who is
willing to buy. When you sign a majorly loaded contract like the one
signed here - offering protection against so many factors, you create
what is known as a moral hazard. the producer loses his incentive to cut
costs and give power at lower rates.
What should have been done is to legalise inter-grid power trading
(yeah, it is illegal in india) and privatise the distribution. then
anyone who wants to setup a power plant should be allowed to, taking
into acount only environmental pollution factors.

why just dabhol, even in claifornia- the rulers, ignorant of the most
basic economic principles, tried to create a quasi-market situation and
FAILED desperately. California is facing black-outs now.

anyway, that drifts away from the mian theme of this posting which is to
say - voluntarily, is a term best used when the property dealt with is
one's own. And in the case of MSEB, it is a tragedy of the bureaucracy.
(kind of tragedy of the commons )

regards
prakash