Tehelka's funding.... Corruption a bigger problem...

Here are some information that i found about Tehelka on the web...

Tehelka.com seems to be mainly promoted by its founders : Tarun Tejpal,
Aniruddha Bahal and Minty Tejpal who own a major part of the company.
Apart from
that, Mumbai-based stock broking firm First Global seems to have a 10
per cent holding in the company..... Mostly, it looks just like any
other
ambitious internet start-up.... except for high-profile people like
Amitabh
Bachchan, Khushwant Singh, V S Naipaul,etc on its board of directors.
More on
this here :
http://www.agencyfaqs.com/www1/news/stories/2000/11/17/1184.html

Tarun Tejpal, one of the founders of Tehelka was working for Outlook
before he
brought his buddies from Outlook to the start-up Tehelka.....
More on the Tehelka team here :
http://www.tehelka.com/dateam.htm
Officially, Tehelka.com is a supposed to be a division of
Buffalo Networks Pvt, Ltd (look at bottom of all Tehelka webpages)

        I doubt if there were any vested interests in their
corruption-finding,
except their own success as a media company with emphasis on content
(which many
start-ups lack). Whatever their interests or their biases, i believe
what they
have done has to be appreciated. Of course, everyone knows there is
corruption
going on everywhere. We were simply looking away. Now this has made the
nation
sit-up and think.
        What Tehelka.com has exposed is only a "drop in the ocean".
Corruption
as we know is far more deep-rooted. It is very important to probe deep
and
analyse the causes for corruption. The recent discussions on Education
are important in that regard.

        Elementary education is fundamental to a strong and healthy
nation
without diseases like corruption. University level education ofcourse is

important for a strong economy. But its the Elementary education which
builds
the foundation of a country. And right now, i think India's foundation
is weak.
Yes, we are a great power with respect to IT or knowledge-based
industries. But
still our fundamentals are ill-founded.

        Look at our elementary education system. Government schools are
in
shambles. No one is interested in them. Only parents who cant afford the

"luxury" of a private school, send their children to Govt schools. What
happens in private schools ? The only thing they r interested is in
"results",
i.e. how many students can they send to professional (Engg +
Medicine) institutions. As a result, a well-rounded education of
children is
neglected in both cases. "Children of today are tomorrow's future" and
that
future seems bleak.
        I do NOT accept that private schools (or Panchayat managed
schools as on
IPI manifesto) are the answer to Primary Education. Private institutions
and to
some extent community managements might look only at the short-term
future of
the children and might overlook the long-term educational needs of
children. So
it is important for the Govt to set basic standards like a common
syllabi (with
some leeway for changes),etc.
        Apart from that, i'm not completely convinced Panchayat
management
councils will mete out a fair treatment to all children in rural areas.
Govt
schools will still be needed in many areas. This is one area, where Govt

spending can be justified. Only the Govt of a nation will/should
(ideally) have
interests in the long term benefits of the individual as well as the
nation. And
it is the Govt which has the necessary means to support education for
all
citizens in providing the kind of well-rounded education needed to build
healthy nation. Ex scenario : in a community, there might be upper
(financially), middle and lower class (financially) people. The
community
management of the local schools might favor policies which benefit
middle/upper
class students. Of course, it is in the interest of the community to
help the
lower class people also come up in society and develop financially thru
proper
education. But the local management might not see this long term
interest in
improving the prosperity of the community. Keeping in mind such
scenarios, it is
the role of the Govt to provide a fair chance to all citizens. So Govt
schools
cannot alltogether be abolished. Improvement (or rather a total
revamping) of
Govt schools is what we need.

--navanee