To:debate@indiapolicy.org
From:Charu datt <charuX@lucent.com>
Date:Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:11:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject:Re: "prakash  chandrashekar" <prakash7uc@rediffmail.com>

i might point out that this is parallel to the
argument put forward to justify state owned enterprises: since large
operations
require large capital inputs, it is desirable to give the state the power to
raise this capital [and for those who control the state, power over the
capital and the intituitions created].

the first argument relies on the virtue of the capitalist-philanthropist to
not
misuse the power that comes from having control of capital and
intituitions. the second relies on the virtue of controllers of state capital
and power to not abuse their power.
------------------

you again forget, the only power a capitalist has is to offer you a choice.
It is government that forces you.
-----------------

given that most private large capital accumulation is not characterised by or
driven by philanthropic motives, and likewise neither is the accumulation
of political power [infact both are frequently characterised by what we might
call 'criminal'],
the assertion that "Free the market and you can get .."
is parallel to arguing "Free the state [give the rulers more power] and you
can
get .."
----------------------
please check my earlier argument.
------------------------------
the bottom line is that allowing unchecked power to anyone politician or
capitalist
is not going to advance society as a whole but will only advance the
welfare of
those people who hold disproportionate power over others.

capitalism is inherently a system which will not allow accumulation of
power, if there is a small change made. That small change is to tax land
value instead of taxing production. Power comes only from privilege.

regrds
prakash

http://bol.rediff.com