Re: Education and Subsidy

For the record I'm no NRI. I'm a student in India. My point was merely that
we shouldn't be trying to micromanage the affairs of every Indian and say
that they should stay or go to another country. It's their personal choice.

What we should try to do is create a system that can ensure that the Indian
economy grows. I already gave the example of China. Most "American" nobel
prize laureates are not even americans. They're mostly immigrants. But the
name&fame for having created so many nobel laureates goes to the US. Can you
imagine what that does for the american economy in terms of R&D.

The sort of India, that is my mind ideal is one that recognizes the
narayanamurthys as well as the deshpandes. We're talking about
globalisation. Trying to hold onto physical boundaries is no way of
globalising.

With regard to subsidies, do away with them and target them for only the
poor. Right now, a lot of undeserving(economically) guys, including me get
subsidised education. This must stop. We have to focus on primary education
first and foremost, subsidised university education for the poor and create
more IITs and IIMs. The key to a good economy is one where the "average"
person can participate and really make a difference to the economy. A
Narayanamurthy will do well even if he is in Somalia.

-Gautam