preventing stock plunge

Dear Venu Gopal,

 Recently you nicely explained demand supply aspects of
basic economics.Can you please explain in the same lucid
terms the significance, relevance of a stock market crash,
stock 'points' they frequently say in a market plunge,
what exactly happens in a stock trade ? is the value
attributed to each stock too virtual? Is it going to whither away
when energy based currency if at all becomes a reality?

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe/daily/20010313/fbs13095.html

I could find little reflections either with friends or magazines,
books though hoped for a good grasp of  ' what it is'
(except its 'effects' starting from the great 1930 depression).

How do we ideally prevent a stock plunge to save an economy?

Parameswar