Education and Subsidy

Mr. Gautam Sampath, Mr. Kandasamy .... and others

Once we are through with this first burst of indignation on how
personally
our efforts to help the Indian economy has gone unnoticed by those
ungrateful Resident Indians (BTW it amazing how self pity can even drag
a "
NRI being considered unpatriotic thread" into a discussion on
education!),
can we do a reality check.

We are tying to frame policy for how we want India to be run. As a
corporation would you have training programs run by you to be free for
your
competitors? While this analogy may be a bit extreme please don't flame
me
if you can get the essence of the message.

All that I am saying is that if we enjoy the fruits of subsidy the very
aim
of that subsidy has to be fulfilled. If the aim of the subsidy is to
increase the educated
workforce in India then so be it. Mr. Prakash feels that subsidies
should
go. Are we now proposing that the Govt. also get out of education
completely? And if this is so, by when? Till then do we allow the
prevalent
practice of subsidized education to benefit foreign lands to continue
without hindrance?

Incidentally the arrogance that comes out in statements like <Propping
up
the Indian economy by *legal* remittances> should go once and for all.
Repayment of our debt to the Indian society directly into the Govt.
coffers
is more acceptable than a remittance (with high interest to boot) coming

from those who directly or indirectly benefited from the subsidy in the
first place.

Also, the corrupt practices of those in power, how funds can or will be
misused and how to cope with such corruption is not part of this thread
for
heavens sake!

A Guru