RE: Bizzare

I Second that. With the amount of remittances sent back home, India's
forex
position gets propped up. They are contributing to the Indian economy
indirectly and now directly with the likes of Kanwal Rekhi, Gururaj
Deshpande's Tejas networks in b'lore etc.

We are probably the only country in the world that differentiates
between
Indians settled abroad who've supposedly deserted their homeland and
those
"patriotic" Indians who continue to stay behind. There is no way to
distinguish between patriotic Indians in India and the rest of the
world,
and how do u define patriotism anyway??

What is important is the Indian economy and how Indians settled anywhere
in
the world help the Indian economy grow in a globalised scenario in some
way
or the other. We should learn from our neighbour China who welcomes
investment from the Chinese diaspora wherever in the world they
are(thailand,hong kong,indonesia,m'sia,s'pore, even taiwan!!).

-Gautam

>From: "Komaragiri, Param (Param)** CTR **" <param@lucent.com>
>To: debate@indiapolicy.org
>Subject: RE: Bizzare
>Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 22:46:55 -0800 (PST)

>Mr Guru wrote:
>
> > I guess my friends staying back in the plush comforts of newly
adopted

> > lands should be made to pay (and here its no begging bowl) for the
> > subsidized
> > education they got in India and are now using to line their pockets
>(and
> > the coffers of foreign lands).A mention should be made in the IPI
>policy
> > that all people having
> > studied in India and now working in foreign lands are taxed heavily
>for
> > the
> > education they received and an additional penalty imposed for the
loss
>in
> > the
> > chance to educate another fellow citizen who would be of use in
India.