Re: Bizzare

 <Npsingh123@aol.com> wrote:
> The bizzare bombing of Buddha by the Taliban is a slightly bigger
> symptom of
> the same disease that caused the bringing down of the Babri Masjid and
> threatens other historic structures across India. In this respect the
> indignation of the Indian Parliment smacks of a lot of hypocrisy. Is it
> not a
> case of the pot calling the kettle black.
>
> And do we really have the technology and know how to ship/ transport a
> 250
> feet of stone statue from Afghanistan to India that we are offering to
> bring
> Buddha home.

Wait a second, I am no supporter of the demolition of the Babri Masjid --
let me state clearly for the record that I wish it had not been destroyed.
But let me point out that the Masjid destruction did not appear to have been
pre-meditated, and it was a situation where the crowd went out of control.

Nextly, the goal of the Hindu activists there, was not to destroy the
Mosque, but to rebuild their temple.
Had the mosque been built somewhere else, other than on top of their
temple -- which to them was their Mecca, their holiest of sites -- then the
mosque would not have had a hair touched on it.

May I point out that the Bamian Buddhas pre-date the existence of Islam in
Afghanistan, and also were NOT BUILT ON TOP OF ANY MOSQUE!
Furthermore, the destruction of the Buddhas is similar to the original
CONSTRUCTION of the Babri Masjid, and not its demolition.
Why? Because both the construction of the Babri Masjid and the current
demolition of the Buddhas, were both acts of destroying somebody else's
religious heritage. Construction of Babri Masjid was just a ruse to destroy
the largest temple of the HIndus, just as this current demolition of the
Buddhas is also to destroy the largest treasure of Buddhism in Central Asia.
Construction of the Babri Masjid was certainly not an act of benevolence but
of intolerance, and likewise the destruction of the Buddhas is not an act of
benevolence but of intolerance.

I fail to see how one can keep mentioning Babri Masjid as an excuse to
justify every new outrage of the Taliban. The Taliban are continuing to
commit newer and newer outrages, but some feel compelled to keep staunchly
excusing them, no matter how awful they get. And these people will keep
getting worse and worse, hurting more and more people, until everyone else
gathers up the courage to stand up to them.