--Revised Environmental Policy for the Manifesto

        >So let the revised wording be:

        >"To use potential global warming as an excuse to curb
production
and
        >consumption in the developing world, is misguided and
unacceptable,
when
        >most of the pollution in the past 100 years has come from the
West.
On the
        >other hand there is a tremendous role for government in
minimizing
the
        >ill-effects of human activity on the environment, including
saving
wild
        >life, hazardous waste disposal, and cleaning up of water and
air.
Stringent
        >standards, equivalent to the highest developed anywhere in the
world,
        >whether European, Japanese or American, have to be imposed for
this
        >purpose. We have to find ways, employ science, and educate
people
so that
        >we do not have to go through the same polluting phase in
economic
growth
        >that other developed nations have gone through. We also have to

protect our
        >natural resources so that future generations can enjoy clean
air,
water,
        >forests, and animals."

        >Is it OK now?

IT is OK . Thank you for being considerate .Hope all other members agree
for
this kind of
 approach and general philosophy towards (Indian) environment.

A few lines may also be added which reflect following views if it is
felt
apt by every body
and if there is any room in Manifesto / Annexure for same.

1) Make it Mandatory for industries which displace forest not only to
compensate land ,
provide forest land but to provide resources or support economically the

replenishment
of 'equivalent of ' forest wealth. Also Give Tax Holidays in the same
excercise.

2) Modify forest related Laws and remove clumsy rules which prohibit an
individual to
grow and maintain variety of trees .For example I should be able to grow
10
teak trees ,
10 sandal wood right in my back yard and sell at what ever price it is
worth
in market.
(No Forest Department licencing required.After all I am not growing
Ganja !)

3) Govt's active encouragement for Social Forestry , people
participation in
various innovative
ways like conducting education camps, involving youth groups about water
and
other natural
resources' conservation,water harvesting,recycling,organic farming,
sustainable development,
etc in school curriculum.

4) Encourage Banks and Social organisations to adopt villages, urban
segments not only for
development but for 'sustainable development'. Quantify their
achievements
interms of
water conservation achieved, water tables retained, greenery developed,
soil
erosion arrested
etc and widely recognise their efforts so that it becomes worthy of
emulation for others.

5) Encourage and educate about Organic farming methods , water
harvesting
methods.

6) Establish standards for Greenery and modify Urban laws to curtail
concrete jungles,
multi storied apartments which are depleting water tables.Establish
targets
for tree growth
in districts, I think there are no targets now like they have for family

planning programs , for
District administration.

7) Release a Bulletin from each Govt, state level, district level, Block

level, advertising in
news papers and mass media about what environment damage that took place
in
terms of water
levels' loss, tree loss etc instead of public depending on sporadic news

reports which go unnoticed
in any significant way, and alternately come up with remedies,announce
the
remedies and success
stories, same time suggesting role of public to keep it up.
I would imagine some body,pulling up concerned authorities about any
project
seen not in
tune with their above Bulletin.Transparancy !

Thanks

Parameswar