global warming

At 08:48 AM 2/19/01 -0800, Parmeswar wrote:

>Following lines about 'environment' in our manifesto were always bewildering
>to me.
>*****
>iv) Environment:
>There is no shred of evidence of global warming, and the excuse being used
>by some "environmentalists" to curb production and consumption in the
>developing world is a misguided and even mischievous. On the other hand
>there is a tremendous role of government in environmental planning including
>saving the wild life. Efforts have to be focused on hazardous waste
>disposal, and cleaning up the water and air.
>*****
>The news clip below is the latest news item on Global warming related
>issues. In fact when it is common knowledge that
>CO2 causes global warming to the extent of that piece of information taught
>to kids in schools, it is no kidding to say there is no shred
>of evidence.. (unless the intent of the sentence was some thing else.. ie
>against the manoeuvering of developed world
>using such intrument 'against' developing world in a chosen way).
>
>http://www.expressindia.com/news/daily/20010219/01904301.htm

Dear Parmeswar,

The evidence for man's role in the slight warming that is taking place is
at best debatable. All kinds of ups and downs in weather have taken place
over the millennia. When the next ice age comes, it will be said that man
caused it. A number of very solid studies were not able to show
incontrovertible evidence of man's role in global warming, the extent of
warming, etc. I may be wrong. But this is not quite obvious. Instead, it is
being used by some to browbeat the developing countries into reducing their
growth efforts.

The issue is much more complex than it appears, and it is advisable - given
the lack of evidence - to take the position against something that can hurt
India if we accept it without full evidence.

Views on this are most welcome and alternate phraseology for the manifesto,
too.

Sanjeev