To:<debate@indiapolicy.org>
From:"MV" <maxv@vsnl.com>
Date:Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:33:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject:Re: free trade: a debate

Still RBI governor does not have a way of calculating
how much rice to give if someone asks for "Sum of hundred
rupees worth of rice". Isn't it? Because current economic
system does not define value of currency in absolute terms!
Even earlier peg system of currency to gold was only
arbitrary that is why it failed.
-----------------
Earlier, Money was gold. Paper monaey was only a claim on gold.
----------------
Let us see how we can absolutely and universally define
the value of money/currency...

X money/currency = value of Y calories of clean energy
----------------
Here there will be debates on the meaning of "clean" here. No human
wealth creation process is truly clean. And every human need, even the
need for a clean environment is subjective. We make trade-offs all the
time.

--------------
Wealth/Money is potential to mobilise clean energy.
This was quite apparent in the beginning of trade,
in barter system a person exchanging one bull for
Y sacks of grain did not have much difficulty in
calculating the exchange rate, since both the traders
were aware of the potential of energy mobilisation of
the bull and the grain.

--------------

Please explain a bit. I think the bull and grain satisfied needs of
humans, so they were valued and traded. There is no energy mobilisation
in gold, cowries shells, parchment, paper, clay pieces - all of which
were used as money at some time in history.

-------------
People keep saying money doesn't grow on trees,
but think a little and *money does grow on trees
or rather plants*.
-------------

please don't confuse wealth and money. Wealth is all the tangble
products/services that satisfy human needs. Money is a commonly accepted
unit of value.

-------------
Now RBI governor can easily calculate the how much
rice to give, if Rupee is defined as promise to give
goods that can mobilise Y calories of energy without
introducing imbalnace to our fragile environment.

---------------

there again , there will be debates on "imbalance" - who will decide the
imbalance - bureaucrats or market. whose studies will they take into
consideration ?

--------------
If all currencies are absolutely defined in terms
of potential to mobilise finite quantity of energy,
without introducing imbalance to earth's ecosystem,
it will give a solid base to the economic system.

Only few human activities actually creates wealth,
primary among them is organic farming, because it
produces food the primary source of energy for
human body.
---------------
every voluntary human activity in a free market where property rights
are properly defined and the value of the earth is shared will increase
"human happiness", though not wealth. when i watch a show of jagjit
singh, I'm happier, though not wealthier.

---------------

Now let's see the how the whole economic system
got distorted. Things were going smoothly till some
people started digging up money or rather they stumbled
on to fossil fuels, large amount of stored energy
which can be harvested easily. This introduced the
distortion/imbalances into economic system and our
fragile ecosystem/environment and also the economic
system.
-----------------

which distortion, can you explain ? precisely which imbalance in the
monetary system occured with discovery of coal or oil ?
------------------

This concept of Money does address the interests
of socially marginalized poor people and their role
in this market world, because now it is possible to
actually quantify their contribution to creating
*sustainable wealth* or rather now it is possible to
quantify wealth in real terms and detect the *over
valuations* introduced by demand supply aspect, taking
into consideration the the cost to our fragile
environment, and apply corrections.

HOW ?

regards,
prakash