Re: Mr Thiagraj and Mike Atherton

Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok

Dear Sanjeev:
Cordial Greetings from Chennai! Thank you for clarifying the mix of my
name
with Mike Atherton. You are kind to remember our earlier interactions
and
postings, whereas many new comers may not know who is who. Your goodwill
and
gentle handling should help to promote human understanding.

At the outset I would like to state that by nature I am a humanist, and
support humanitarian activities, constructive practical  service to
people.
So far I remained non-political ( I have friends in all political
parties)
and work for interfaith understanding to realize the essence of humanity
and
the oneness of human family. But I like healthy debate on issues and
critical thinking and like dialectics, and questioning of presumptions,
something I learnt being a student of  philosophy,  a tradition from
Socrates. When I travel I miss the debate of indiapolicy. Recently I
changed
my computer and in the process I lost lot of my old files and emails.
However I am glad I noticed the confusion of my name with some one else,

whom  I donot know. Though I am not able to fully participate in the
debate,
I support healthy arguments. I am enclosing my resume which you are
welcome
to edit and share, if necessary.
With best wishes
Henry Thiagaraj

RESUME OF MR.HENRY THIAGARAJ
Founder - Director of Human Rights Education Movement of India

Mr. Henry Thiagaraj is the Founder - Director of Human Rights Education
Movement of India, which was started in 1991, based on his seven years
experience of working with people from marginalized communities in rural

poor areas.  People living in poverty are not aware of human rights and
are
denied of human rights. He realized the importance of linking poverty
eradication with human rights and evolved a unique synthesis of justice
issues with human values.  Similarly the socio-economic deprivation of
the
rural poor and the untouchable people made him to realize the value of
human
rights for the discriminated groups. As a college student intern at the
UN
Head Quarters in New York, he was exposed to human rights issues. He
worked
for the Quaker UN programme and actively participated in the Human
Rights
Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of
Minorities - 1959 - 60.

His commitment to "Social Justice" and empowerment of the social
underclass
won him the following awards: SEVA RATNA Award by the Centenarian Trust
in
1998, which citation described him "as a real friend of blossoms in the
dust, a rare dedicated worker to uplift the oppressed, suppressed and
depressed".
(Reference: Dr. K. Venkatasubramaniam, Member, Planning Commission, New
Delhi)
The award citation reads
Recipient of the UN Alumni Award, presented by the World Association
Former
United Nations Interns and Fellows (WAFUNIF) on 25th Sept. 98 at the
United
Nations in New York. The award citation reads: "In advancing the goals
and
principles of the charter of the United Nations through the promotion of

education for peace, development, and all human rights for all
especially
for the poor and disadvantaged at the grassroots level"(
( Reference: Dr Hope White-Davis, President of WAFUNIF, New York)

Mr.Thiagaraj  joined the Tamil Nadu Government in 1961 and served in the

Information, Education and Tourism Departments.  He was selected by the
British Council and deputed for training in UK under the Colombo Plan in

1976 and studied at the Project Planning Centre for Developing Countries
of
the Bradford University.  This training gave him an exposure to the
problems
of development and the importance of eradication of poverty. After his
twenty years of service with the Tamil Nadu Government, Mr.Thiagaraj was

selected to head the University Students Advisory Bureau, University of
Madras for a period of three years (1978-82).
At present Mr.Thiagaraj, is Asia Director of World Association of Former

United Nations Interns and Fellows, Inc., (WAFUNIF), New York.  He is a
Life
Member of: (i). Society for International Development (SID), Rome, (ii).

Indian Institute of Public Administration, and (iii). People's Union for

Civil Liberties (PUCL), India

The Education Facilitation Centre founded by him in the city of Madras,
he
has been the inspirational source, for many activities through youth
camps,
programmes on building people's movement, women's progress, legal aid
and
Human Rights Movement. On an average 200 youths per year participated in
the
youth leadership camps he had organized for the last fifteen years.
Mr. Henry Thiagaraj played a prophetic role in identifying the
shortcomings
and awakening among the Dalit youth a spirit of solidarity in shaping
and
structuring their future. His efforts have awakened them from a state of

helplessness to a state of self-assertion and self-support. He not only
confined himself to the constraints of counseling and conducting Youth
Camps
but also went beyond to tackle the problems of down to earth technology
and
science to provide a panacea for the oppressed castes. Though he kept a
good
rapport with the elite and intellectuals, he always could find time to
uplift the oppressed from their state of poverty, deprivation and
squalor.
He effectively exploited print media, electronic media and folk media to

break the "Culture of Silence" among Dalits. These "Catapult" efforts
have
paid rich dividends in enabling the dehumanised people to discover their

humanity and seek justice in creating a new social order. The trials and

tribulations he has undergone have produced a "spreader effect" among
the
rural people.

 For the last 16 years, he has dedicated his life for service of Dalit
people.
He was invited by the American Universities to give a lecture on Dalit
situation in 1991. He has introduced several innovative programmes in
Madras.
Mr. Henry Thiagaraj is a multifaceted personality influencing elite and
uplifting downtrodden at the grass root levels. Among the NGOs, he
stands
out as a role model with his non-controversial and non-political stance,

always dedicated, determined and committed social to change by
non-violence
activities.

Mr.Thiagaraj was invited by United Nations Commissions on Human Rights
at
Geneva to participate in the World Conference on Human Rights held at
Vienna
in June'93.  Some of the projects in which he is actively involved are:
Rural Women's Liberation, Rural Children in Development, Housing for the

Rural Poor, Legal Aid to victims of violence and injustice, etc.

 The National Human Rights Commission at Delhi, headed by Justice
Ranganath
Mishra, collaborated with Mr.Thiagaraj and the Dalit Liberation
Education
Trust, to organize a National Conference on Human Rights & Societal
Violence
on Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in August 1996 which was
attended
by leading scholars and was inaugurated by the Speaker of Lok Sabha of
Indian Parliament Mr.P.A.Sangma, who released the book: "Human Rights
from
Dalit Perspective" edited by Mr.Thiagaraj.  The eminent participants
from
all over India appreciated this historically significant National
Workshop.
GYAN Publishers in New Delhi published the proceedings of this National
Conference as a book.
At the invitation of the UN Commission on Protection of Minorities, he
participated in its special session held in Geneva in May 1996

Mr.Thiagaraj, has instituted the HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD for distinguished
service in the field of human rights which was first given to the
following:
Mr.R.R.Sivalingam, Advocate, who suffered the imprisonment for his work
in
the Nilgiris area -1996 and to Dr.R.M.Pal, Editor of PUCL Bulletin
-1996,
Mr. Martin Macwan of Navsarjan Trust in Gujarat, 1998 and Ms. Smita
Narula
(research scholar) of Human rights Watch, USA, 1999 and Ms Teesta
Setalvad
(journalist)-2001. The Award functions were organized in Chennai, New
Delhi
and Mumbai in which the Chairpersons of NHRC, Parliamentarians, and
Union
Ministers have participated

Mr. Thiagaraj has established the Delta Project Training Centre for
national
integration, international harmony and uplift of the Dalit youth at the
Palar River Delta site on East Coast Road on the way to Pondicherry,
Here a
School of Catering, a school of Nursing are functioning at present. His
future projects include: establishing a Hospital with geriatrics to care
for
the aged and rehabilitation of the disabled.

HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION MOVEMENT OF INDIA
DALIT LIBERATION EDUCATION TRUST (Regd.)
"Airedale", 46 Main Butt Road, St. Thomas Mount
CHENNAI-600 016.
Phone: 2341146 Fax: 4913365