Re: dreams come true ?

It is amazing how what is taken for granted in many western countries is
reason for celebration for us. Nevertheless while seperate bins would
help,
the bins need to be covered so that flies, mice, pigs and cows cannot
access
them, because open bins encourage breeding of flies and spread of
disease. It
is interesting to note that one does not see an open drain for storm
water or
any other kind of waste water in the Western world while nullahs are a
common
site in the middle of residential areas in India and act as a breeding
ground
for mosquitoes. I am sure with some kind of creative financing and
imaginative engineering all this can be changed.

In a message dated 2/6/01 11:31:14 PM Central Standard Time,
param@lucent.com
writes:

<< Dear Friends,

 This should be an All-India phenomena. I am Glad to share this positive

 note
 with ipi members.

 > http://www.deccan.com/headlines/template.shtml#Separate bins take
 stink
 > off garbage
 >
 > Separate bins take stink off garbage
 >
 > Vijayawada, Feb. 5: Winds of change are blowing in the State's
garbage

 > disposal circles. The next time you throw the garbage out, three
types
 of
 > bins will offer a choice: Green, white and black.The green bins are
 for
 > biodegradable wastes, white for recyclable ones and black for other
 > rubbish. The task of setting up of separate garbage bins has been
 > entrusted to municipal bodies across the State including Nagar
 > Panchayats.The move follows a Union government notification on
cleaner
 and
 > healthier atmosphere in the country. Under the new rules, municipal
 bodies
 > will have to arrange for garbage disposal through covered trucks and
 treat
 > it in specific plants.The Andhra Pradesh State Pollution Control
 Board's
 > schedule says waste processing and disposal facilities should be set
 up by
 > December 31, 2003. According to Somi Reddy, joint chief environmental

 > engineer of Pollution Control Board, Vijayawada zone, civic bodies
 have to
 > improve existing landfill sites by the end of this year. New landfill

 > sites will have to be identified on or before December 31, 2002.
 Disposal
 > of waste has become a major problem in the State. Vijayawada alone
 > produces around 450 tonnes of garbage every day. According to an
 estimate,
 > the daily solid waste output in the State is 10,000 tonnes and much
of
 it
 > goes untreated, causing water and atmospheric pollution.The new rules

 say
 > municipal bodies shall organise house-to-house collection of solid
 waste,
 > devise collection of waste from slums, squatter areas and hospitals.
 The
 > waste should not be burnt.The municipal body must establish storage
 > facilities which do not lead to unhygienic conditions.

 ...while shooting off emails to MPs and central-ministers to draw
 attention
 to my web site (www.aesthetixforindia.com), while corresponding and
 getting
 acknowledgements from CM's office (AP) regarding the same, I was hoping

 for
 some thing like this MUST come in our urban life.May not be due to my
 mails
 alone, mae be for many more good reasons this is happening.It only
helps
 cheer us up to see one day, garbage handling revolutionised in India.

 Parameswar