Re: Indias software MNCs look to China for cheap talent

My complaint was with 2 for your assertions

1.  That indian companies should put national interest first.  You have
nice sense of humor.  Why don't you put National interest first and go
back
to India, instead of sitting in your cosy silicon valley office?  Lets
see,
since you have decided to come here, against National Interest, maybe we

should tax part of your salary and open IT institutes in Rabrigaon,
Madhya
Pradesh.  Ooops, did it hurt your wallet.  Tsk tsk, you should make such

sacrifices for National interest.  Do you get the point?  Or are you
still
going to ask me to get my head out of my arse.  "National interest",
much
like "public interest" is a very amorphous term.  It is used by babu's
suck blood from those who create wealth.  What is national interest.  Is
it
the same as your interest.  Is it the same as InfoSys's interest?  Is
InfoSys doing well, in the national interest?  What if it can do well
only
by hiring chinese and russians?  Is it still in the national interest?
Maybe making InfoSys hire expensive indian programmers is in the
national
interest since it creates jobs in India?  We need professionals in
India, so
maybe we should force you to come back?  Is that in the national
interest?
We have too many IT people, and we need nurses, so maybe we should tax
you
till you change your profession?  Thats surely in the national interest.

Have you gotten it?  Do i need to explain more?

2.  That indian software companies are obligated to the GOI.  Is this a
joke?  Even Narayana Murthy has said that he would like Infosys to be
taxed.
 But the GOI refuses.  Maybe because they need the forex, or they need
keep the middle class happy, or they dont want to kill their golden
goose or
they want to help create more software companies.  Whatever the reason.
Don't try to dictate how companies should do their jobs.  If you want to

tax, tax everyone, or dont tax anyone.  In this case, by selective
taxation
you are trying to dictate strategy to companies.  Much like the
selective
taxation of large corporations to encourage cottage industries in India.

That is clearly unacceptable.

If you want to train people in the north and east fine!  Tax everyone
and do
it.  You should read that article by kanwal Rekhi that someone posted
from
Silicon India...

And now for some personal insults...

The truth hurts doesn't it?  Why not admit your mistake instead of
putting
up a sorry argument (see below).  Won't make you any less of a man :)
Learn
to stop controlling people and corporations.  Let them be free.  Don't
make
them conform to what you think is good for the country.

Why has the MITI been such a disastrous failure for more than a decade
now.
It policies suceeded only in the 80's.  In other words, in case you
havent
noticed, Japan has been in a recession.

And I haven't seen any malaysian cars in USA or in Europe.  Hmmm, maybe
you
also support the Koreans for their national policy, when they encouraged
the
Korean companies to make cars.  Ooops, I forgot about your selective
memory.
 I can bet you any amount of money that the proton will go the way of
the
daewoo or the hyundai.

Later
AP

--- Raju Agarwal <krantikari@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Judging from your post, I would say the only person who is talking
shit
> is
> you.  I could easily respond in kind, but I see no reason to sink to
> your
> depths.
>
> Try to articulate your point like a civilized human being.
> You need to get your head out of your ass before you type your next
> message
> - Now get lost, loser!
>
> As for "national interest", and "Policy" - the "Japanese Miracle" was
> shaped
> in part by the Industrial "Policy" of the Japanese Ministry of
> International
> Trade and Industry (MITI).  Malaysia's Proton has become a world class

> Asian
> car maker due to the Malaysian government's "Policy" of developing an
> indigenous car industry.  It is too bad for Indian vehicle
manufacturers

> like Telco and Mahindra, that assinine Babus like you have turned
India
> into
> a dumping ground for bankrupt Korean car companies.
>
> With regard to the Indian software industry, are you saying that the
sky

> will fall if the GoI imposes taxation or partial taxation on software
> exports.  Give me break!  How come other countries like Ireland have a

> thriving software export industry without providing the tax sops that
> the
> Indian govt provides.  Even the U.S., the bastion of free enterprise,
> uses
> the money it collects from H1 visas for re-training American workers.
> Why
> shouldn't the GoI withdraw tax sops from companies that outsource work

> other countries and use the money for creating/upgrading schools in
> India?
> The main beneficiary of the software boom has been the southern and
> western
> states.  Why not tax software exports and use the money to create
> schools
> and IT institutes in the North and East to expand the pool of software

> professionals?
>

> >From: Abhijeet Pradhan <perdi420@yahoo.com>
> >To: debate@indiapolicy.org
> >Subject: Re: Indias software MNCs look to China for cheap talent
> >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:39:00 -0800 (PST)

> >Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate
it!

> >Indian software industries cannot put "national interest" before
their
> own
> >survival.  This was bound to happen as the pay scales for indian
> >programmers
> >goes higher and higher.  Also what "national interest" are you
talking
> >about?  What kind of perverse thinking is this?  What is in more in
> >national
> >interest, Indian companies slowly losing business to Chinese
companies
> and
> >dying, or Indian companies hiring cheap chinese labor and growing?
> >Competition from all countries including china is inevitable.
Success
> [...]

> >needs the dollar revenues from indian software companies?  We do not
> need
> >more "policy" tying down our companies and our people?  Your
stupidity
> >makes
> >me boil with anger!!
> >
> >--- Raju Agarwal <krantikari@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate

> it!

> > > This is an ominous development.
> > >
> > > I would hope that Indian software companies put the national
> interest
> > > first
> > > and not outsource software development work to China.  Given the
tax

> > > sops
> > > and various benefits the Indian software industry receives from
the
> > > Government, in my opinion, they have an obligation to maximize job

> > > creation
> > > within India.
> > >
> > > Perhaps some Policy should be introduced that ties the above
> mentioned
> > > sops
> > > to a committment to not outsource work to other countries.

> > > India’s software MNCs look to China for cheap talent
> > >
> > > Snigdha Sengupta
> > > MUMBAI
> > > IT IS still a far cry from India’s 300,000-strong resource pool
but
> > > China’s
> > > fledgling pool of software professionals, estimated at a little
> under
> > > 30,000, is drawing more than a passing interest from the big guns
of

> > > Indian
> > > IT -— Tata Consultancy Services, Infosys and Wipro.
> > >
> > > Wipro, for instance, does not the rule out the possibility of
> > > outsourcing
> > > part of its offshore development work for US clients from China a
> year
> > > down
> > > the line.
> > >
> > > TCS has gone one step ahead and set in place a `China Strategic
> > > Initiative’
> > > at its Bangalore offices. The initiative is headed by R Ramanan,
who
> is
> > > also
> > > the regional manager of TCS’ Bangalore operations.
> > >
> > > The company’s expansion plans in China are of strategic importance

> > > its
> > > larger plans for collaborative ventures in the Asia-Pacific
region.
> It
> > > has
> > > offices in Vietnam, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
> > >
> > > A TCS spokesman in Mumbai said: “TCS is looking at China since the

> > > company
> > > has always taken a leadership in exploring new opportunities and
> > > geographies
> > > to maintain its leadership position. We are currently
concentrating