RE: India's Software Exports: Reply to Mr. Asher

DEar Dr. Roy

No, I am not suggesting that we live on hype.

But creating a strong impression of the indispensabilty of India,
Indians,
and the NRIs in the whole spectrum of ICE activities is important. For
the
same work, billing rates of US or UK IT prefessionals are higher.

To narrow and eventually close this gap, NASSCOM-Mckinsey projections
are
ONE of the useful tactical instruments. Obviiously, the ultimate test is

improving the capabilties, including in marketing.

It would seem that the word like hype appear unnecessarily negative.
While I
am not an expert is forecasting of IT industry's growth, even if the
revenur
forecasts in question appear ambitious. to use hype is simply too
negative.

There are enough parties, at least in Southeast and East Asia who will
distort the debate on the revenue forecasts or targets to put Indian It
firms on the defensive. Many are just waiting to highlight negative
aspects
of India in this region.

so words chosen are important. This is not a plea to be not skeptical at
the
numbers or at the methodologies, but only strong concern that in the
process, unneccsary burden be not placed on the competitiveness and
pricing
abilty of Indian firms.

Thank you.

sincerely