Re: Mr. Aggarwal, please try to be scientific

Just one more clarification.

I do not trivialize the challenges that the software industry faces in
achieving the $50 billion export target.
However, none of these challenges appear to me to be insurmountable and
I am
optimistic that Government and  Industry will be able to collectively
address these obstacles in due course.

BTW I am a project manager based in Silicon Valley leading the
development
of a web application at a US MNC.  Out of a team of about 20 programmers
all
but 3 are Indian and have graduated from Engineering Colleges.  I have
seen
a lot of half baked American programmers and American IT managers.  I
don't
think these kinds of issues apply only to India.

>From: "prasad boddupalli" <bvssp@hotmail.com>
>To: debate@indiapolicy.org
>Subject: Re: Mr. Aggarwal, please try to be scientific
>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:38:52 -0800 (PST)

>    I sincerely share Dr. Roy's concerns about the projected revenues
of
>$50
>billion dollars.
>
>    Point No 1: Mr Aggarwal, in an earlier reply said that the figure
of
>$50
>billion dollars is based on the current growth rate of 50%. How can an
>estimate be that simple ? We don't need McKinsey's for that. Can I
apply
>that simple rule to other sectors, say textiles ? No, you cannot. We
not
>only have to consider the external competition, but our abilities to
meet
>that. Like, the quality of engineers, the management, govt policies and
so
>on.
>
>     Point No 2: About the quality of our engineers. Mr. Arun Mehta was

>right
>in this regard. Please do not quote and believe the likes of John
Chambers
>and Gates. Standing on Indian soil, they can only say that we are
second to
>none. Look at those half-baked students, being churned out by the most
>lucrative industry in India, the engineering colleges. Mr. Agarwal,
look at
>the computer science departments. They have the infrastructure, but no
>faculty. Don't tell me that industry trains them. That takes us to the
>issue
>of the IT managers
>
>     I had the misfortune of working for TCS, once upon a time. Believe
me,
>it was such a frustrating experience. It is run like a grocery store.
It is
>the case with many companies. You have to be part of that to see how
rotten
>it is. Many companies, adhere to quality by completing the paper work
and
>nothing else. There is so much to write about. Ofcourse, this is not to
say
>that, we are incapable of some excellent work. We are yet to have
>visionaries and I am only highlighting the current state.
>
>     About the news that TCS, Wipro and Infosys plan to outsource
coding
>and
>maintenance work to china. How ridiculous ? The US or european
companies
>will then go to china. Why will they have to do it through WIPRO or TCS
?
>Such talk is devoid of any merit. 'Made in China' is a better brand
than
>WIPRO or TCS.
>
>     We succeeded in this out sourcing work because of the low entry
>barriers. That can be our undoing, if we are complacent. Dewang
Mehta's,