From: Raju Agarwal [mailto:krantikari@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 1:25 AM
To: debate@indiapolicy.org
Subject: Re: India's Software Exports: Reply to Mr. Aggarwal

>From what I have read of Dr. Roy's posts, I hardly think he is
qualified to

be "giving a talk" on this subject.

Let me attempt, once more, to shed some light on the $50 billion export
target.  India's software exports have been growing at the rate of
50-60%
since 1991. In 1992, when they were around $250 million, NASSCOM's
Dewang
Mehta predicted they would cross the $1 billion mark in 1996/97.  Few
believed him at the time, however his prediction was indeed accurate,
and
software exports even today are maintaining a growth rate of 50-60%.  So
think the real question is: how long can India sustain the current
50-60%
software export growth rate?

The Mckinesy/Nasscom study and projections are based on exactly this
kind of

analysis. The study assumes a gradual decline in growth rate from 50% to

about 20% by 2008, resulting in a "services" (i.e. software + IT Enabled

Services) export target of $50 billion by 2008.

Pros:
1. The commerical viability of outsourcing services becomes more
favorable
over time thanks to advancements in telecommunications.

2. India has the critical "first mover advantage".  Blue Chip
international
companies will only outsource to a select group of companies with whom
they
have existing relationships.

3. The annual growth of the global software market is expected to be
approximately 30% over the next several years.

4. Carriers the world over are spending approximately one trillion
dollars
on building next-generation voice, wireless internet and broadband
networks.

  This has been described as the greatest capital expenditure in
history.
These networks are expected to fuel demand for a new breed of software
applications that take advantage of these cababilities such as wireless
internet applications, voice portals, interactive television, etc.

5. Many other services, in addition to software can be similarly
outsourced
to India. (Accounting, Insurance Claims Processing, etc)

Cons:
1. skilled manpower shortage
2. the law of large numbers
3. competitive threats from other countries

The Nasscom/McKinsey study is only a "best guess" based on the above.
Whether, you believe it or not depends entirely on your point of view as
the macro-economic trends that are shaping the world economy and the
global
software industry.

Dr. Roy has dismissed the study's projections as "nonsense",
"pie-in-the-sky" and "industry hype", without providing an iota of
substantiation to support his argument. Surely the good doctor can
attempt
to put together an intelligent argument to substantiate his claims.

assessment.